Start a new topic

Saving of SQL Commander tabs btw sessions

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. I have 'Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions' unchecked. Yet, when I start an additional session (via Start menu, NOT File-New Window), the sql tabs that i currently have opened in my original session also open in the new session. just fyi, 'Preserve Object View tabs between Sessions' is also unchecked. please advise, thanks Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.1 Build: #1907 (2012/12/17 12:05) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_33 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Saving of SQL Commander tabs btw sessions
Hi Alex, There are issues with preserving tabs and auto-save when running multiple DbVisualizer instances that we are working on fixing. Until then, I suggest you avoid doing so, because it causes a mix up of layout, tabs, etc between the instances. Also, I'm curious about why you still need to do this. With the ability to float any tab in its own window, is there still a need for running multiple instances? I appreciate if you can explain why. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans The only reason why I open a new instance of dbVis not via New Window is that I want to keep my dbVis sessions separate between DEV and PROD active connections. For example, my dbVis session 1 only has PROD connections *active.* When I do New Window, the new session "inherits" those active connections, which I want to avoid. If you can add a new menu "New Window w/o transferring active connections", that would be fantastic!!! What do you think?

Hi Alex, Thanks for the clarification. To do what you suggest would be very hard, but now when we know better why you need this we may be able to come up with something that will help you in some other way. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans Just noticed that it restored the unsaved Untitled sql tabs (with sql code) after i previously quit dvVis and chose not to save tabs when promted

Alex, If you have two instances (processes) of DbVisualizer running then there may be a race condition resulting in what you experience. As Hans previously mentioned this is a known issue that we will look into. Regards Roger

This time I only have one instance of dbVis, that i tried closing a few times w/o saving Untitled tabs, and it keeps re-appearing. Glad you guys are looking into this. Thanks

Alex, We tried this from two different computers, both having "Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions" unchecked. We're prompted to saved the open files but reject, quit and re-start. No tabs now appear. Based on your description we are doing the same steps. The workspace of open tabs and the window layout is saved in the following directory: .dbvis\Workspace\default\window-n Where window-n is one directory per open main window. When you quit DbVisualizer there should be a single window-n directory and only a single file in it: dbvis-mainwindow.layout Is this the case when you do the same? If not, open activity monitor and look for a second DbVisualizer process. Regards Roger

Roger You were right, there was a 'ghost' dbvis.exe process in the task manager. I had to kill it via Processes tab since it wasnt showing up in Applications tab. Not sure how it becase a ghost..