Start a new topic

Null Column Remarks

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I'm new to DbVizualizer so it's quite possible I'm just missing something simple so any help would be greatly appreciated. We work on an IBM Power720 running version 7.1, up until 2 weeks ago we were on an older iSeries machine running V5R4. When I first installed Vizualiser over V5R4 everything worked just fine, we then switched machines and ever since then I can no longer see the column remarks for any table in our DB, the all show as null. I've tried an uninstall and install of the latest version of DbVizualiser but still have the same issue. I have the connection using JTOpen as the DB driver. Oddly enough the same issue is also happening with SQLExplorer so I'm guessing something changed with the upgrade but I cannot figure out what the issue is. Anyway, hoping someone out there has encountered and resolved this issue. Cheers, Kevin.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Null Column Remarks
Kevin, Unfortunately we have no experience with the configuration of V5R4 and the JDBC driver in terms what is required to support showing for example the "remarks" information. However, I just Googled and found the following: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/java/JdbcProperties.html It specifies that the "remarks" driver property can be set to either "sql" or "system". system seem to be default so I suggest you try setting the driver property as: remarks = sql Do this in the Connection Properties tab in DbVisualizer. Select the Driver Properties category and then either modify the existing value for remarks or add a new entry. Press Apply, re-connect and try again. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, Changing that setting makes no difference. I reckon the problem is between the driver and the machine, just cannot find any information as to what that problem may be. Appreciate the suggestion though.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Kevin, Unfortunately we have limited experience with the setup you are using. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

No worries, I appreciate the fact you took time out of your day to offer whatever you were able. I am closing in on the underlying issue and it seems to be the system table on the ibm system that is used by tools requesting metadata.