Start a new topic

Specifying Command (Execution) Timeout in DBVis 9

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've recently run into an issue where some long running operations appear to timeout at exactly 40 seconds. I've already determined the cause of this to be the command timeout, which I've been able to adjust in the script that is calling the procedure, but I haven't been able to adjust this in DBVis so that I can execute the query directly. I've found a few other threads here pointing to an execution timeout value that was under Tool Properties > General > Database Connection, but that option appears to be gone in version 9. This creates an issue as I am unable to run queries that may take longer than ~40 seconds without them timing out using DBVis. Using SSMS or other tools and adjusting the timeout works as expected, so it's simply a matter of having a way to specify this timeout once again in DBVis. Is this something that can be added back in? Or is there a pressing reason why it may have been removed? (Or is there even a different way to alter the setting that I just haven't found?) Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Specifying Command (Execution) Timeout in DBVis 9
Hi Michael, The property you refer to was for an internal DbVisualizer timer, and it has been removed in 9.0 as it is no longer applicable. It sounds as the timeout you encounter is at the driver level. Which database and driver are you using? Have you checked the driver documentation for driver properties that can affect this timeout? You can set driver properties in the Properties tab for the connection in DbVisualizer. http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/getConnected/getConnected.html#mozTocId100518 Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, Thank you for the quick response. I'm connecting to SQL Server 2008, and the timeout may be controlled by the driver, but I've not been able to determine which property I need to set to control that. I do know from my research that the timeout is specific to each query, and is not set for the entire connection, but I'm assuming that you're right that a driver property can probably specify what is sent with each command. I'll keep digging to see if I can find any way to control it from jdbc.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Michael, Are you accessing a server over a VPN? If you can't find any driver properties, check if there are any network settings that drops connections that have been inactive for some time. Many drivers also have a property to enable TCP/IP keep-alive, which may help. If none of that helps, there may be server configuration options that affects this. You may also try with a different driver. If you're using the Microsoft driver, try with the bundled jTDS driver, or vice versa. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best Regards, Hans