Start a new topic

NEWBIE needs help

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have just download the free version of dbvis. I need help connecting it to a database. I do not have a server or a database. All I have at the present time is the software. can some one help me get connected to a test database? Thank you! -T

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: NEWBIE needs help
Hi Tod, Everything that is needed to create an embedded H2 database is bundled with DbVisualizer, so if you just want something simple to test with, I suggest you create a connection like that: 1) Tools->Connection Wizard launches the Connection Wizard 2) Enter any name for your connection on the first page, e.g. "My H2 database" 3) Select "H2 embedded" as the driver on the second page 4) Enter a filename for the database data (or use the default) and leave everything else as-is on the third page. 5) Click Finish to create the connection Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

yes! works great! thank you!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

could you provide me with a link for some good instructions for querying data with this tool for beginners? I am a beginner at sql and dbvis and just need something to get started. I have seen a lot of pages, but what I really need is a little direction to focus my efforts. Thank you -T
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Tod, In DbVisualizer you use the SQL Commander feature to execute SQLs. Check the following document for an overview of the capabilities: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/sqlCommander/sqlCommander.html For SQL syntax and rules please check the documentation for the actual database(s). Regards Roger