Start a new topic

Blank AWRs in HTML format

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've just began evaluating trial version of DbVisualizer Pro in search of good alternative for SQL Developer on Linux platform so I'm pretty new here. I must admit tool looks quite promising but for now two issues came into my way when working with Oracle: - with JRE 1.7.0 (I'm not sure about exact build number) many actions in "DBA Views" hanged the whole program with progress window "Preparing "Create snapshot" action" (or something very similar). Only by accident found a solution with downgrading jre to 1.6. Could you advise on which exact jre7 version DbVisualizer is confirmed to work ok in Linux environment? - after snapshot related actions started working fine I've tried to generate reports through "Run report" action. While for text based reports output generates fine, the output for HTML format is blank. Is there any option I miss? Regards

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Blank AWRs in HTML format
the blank output often occurs when there is too much output ..... What I do in that case is to just copy the action sql to the sql ommander and execute it there. In that case, only use the sql query, not the pl/sql loop that dumps the lines to dbms_output. I hope this can be fixed. If you have more reports you would like to see: shoot. I will be happy to help building them. with best regard, Ronald http://ronr.blogspot.com
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, For the hanging "Prepare xxx" issue can you please try using Java 6 instead of Java 7? We believe there is an issue with these actions on Linux with Java 7. To do this, first make sure you have Java 6 installed. Then create the following file: DBVIS-HOME/.install4j/pref_jre.cfg In the file put a single row with the full path to the Java 1.6 /bin directory. Example: /opt/jre6/bin Re-start DbVisualizer and verify that you are using Java 1.6 in Help->About. Te open an action that previously hang at "Preparing xxx" and verify that the action is properly displayed. Please let me know the progress. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for you replies. If that's of any help with manually executed SQL presented for AWR report I end up with "SQLException: null" for HTML reports while it's completly fine for TEXT reports. Roger please check my first post which actually confirms that all actions work fine on 1.6: {quote}Only by accident found a solution with downgrading jre to 1.6. Could you advise on which exact jre7 version DbVisualizer is confirmed to work ok in Linux environment?{quote}

What /how exactly did you run the awr query ? (in sqlcommander or using the action?) like "select * from table(dbms_workload_repository( bla bla))" ? R.

When running HTML report from "Run report" action, empty window appears where you can Show/Copy/Cancel output (similar window for TEXT report contains full report). If I copy sql presented in report action window and run it via sql commander I get two results depending on status in "DBMS Output" tab: - if output is disabled code completes with no error, but I have no means of catching report either - if output is enabled I get (made a mistake in my previous post as I wrote it from memory): {quote}19:06:37 [UNDEF - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs] SQLStatement is null!{quote} Edited by: atler on Feb 25, 2013 7:03 PM

so you copied the pl/sql block to the sqlcommander. Can you strip the pl/sql from that? In that case your sql should start with "select table( ...... ))" Problem is that the dbms_output results in an overflow of the dbms_output buffer. The regular select can dump it's output in the data grid. Ronald.

Thanks, that ultimately gives expected result but can hardly be considered as automated. Is there any chance that it will be fixed soon?

For exactly this I have a question open for the dbvis team. It would certainly be very nice to have. R. - who is just an other dbvis user.

Strangely enough HTML reports work fine on different machine but with slightly different set of software: - empty for Oracle *11.1 32bit* on Linux 64bit - ok for Oracle *11.2 64bit* on Linux 64bit OS and JRE versions are same in both cases.

a fix for the issue is coming soon. I hope it is what you are looking for. dbvis is a great tool, with good support and feedback controls a lot of what is done for it. R.

Jan, We have just released 9.0.5 which should solve the "Preparing..." issue when generating AWR report (or running any action). http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger

Hi Jan, the workflow with 9.0.5 still is run awr html report show export as TEXT (not html) open the file in the browser of your choice. Would be nice to be able to open browser from dbvis giving it the html output. R.

Ronald, We'll look into offering a pure text output mode along with an "Open in Browser" action. Regards Roger

That would be GREAT ! Simplifies the workflow a lot.