Start a new topic

All Oracle connections invalidated after DbVis Pro 9.05 installation

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

After installing DbVisualizer 9.05 (64-bit) on Win7 (64-bit), all of my Oracle connections that worked prior (DbVis 8.0.11) to that, no longer work. When I attempt to connect, I get this: An error occurred while establishing the connection: Details:    Type: java.sql.SQLException    SQL State: 00000 I've checked my "Oracle OCI" JDBC driver definition, and it looked fine. Nonetheless, I tried using a couple of different JDBC jar files -- ojdbc5.jar, ojdbc6.jar, directly from my Oracle database install directory, but no luck. The error above doesn't really provide any useful information about what's wrong. I'm really stuck for ideas now. Scott.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: All Oracle connections invalidated after DbVis Pro 9.05 installation
Hi Scott, Sorry to hear that. Can you connect using the Oracle Thin driver instead of the OCI driver? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When attempting to use the "Oracle Thin" driver, I get a different error. Has anyone else been successful using the Oracle OCI driver for DbVis 9.0.5? Am I the only one with a problem? Scott. ----------- An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: Native Library C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN\ocijdbc11.dll already loaded in another classloader Details:    Type: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError Stack Trace: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Native Library C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN\ocijdbc11.dll already loaded in another classloader    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection$1.run(T2CConnection.java:3178)    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.loadNativeLibrary(T2CConnection.java:3174)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.logon(T2CConnection.java:233)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:508)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.(T2CConnection.java:133)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CDriverExtension.getConnection(T2CDriverExtension.java:53)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:510)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.ā(Z:1413)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi Scott, We have not heard from anyone else having problems with either the OCI or Thin drivers. The error message mentions the DDL, which should only be referenced by the OCI driver. Please open the Tools->Debug window and enable debugging before you try to connect. Then post or email us the output so we can see what may be causing the problem. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for your response Hans. For the "Oracle OCI" driver, (using: C:\Program Files\DbVisualizer 9\jdbc\oracle\ojdbc6.jar), I have this as an error message: An error occurred while establishing the connection: Details:    Type: java.sql.SQLException    SQL State: 00000 ... and in the debug window, I have this: java.sql.SQLException: ?? at oracle.jdbc.driver.SQLStateMapping.newSQLException(SQLStateMapping.java:70) at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.newSQLException(DatabaseError.java:133) at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:206) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.checkError(T2CConnection.java:650) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.logon(T2CConnection.java:338) at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:508) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.(T2CConnection.java:133) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CDriverExtension.getConnection(T2CDriverExtension.java:53) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:510) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor51.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.?(Z:1413) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) skipping: driver[className=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver,com.mysql.jdbc.Driver@502aeaed] skipping: driver[className=com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybDriver,com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybDriver@3e445ad7] skipping: driver[className=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver,SQLServerDriver:1] skipping: driver[className=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver,SQLServerDriver:1] skipping: driver[className=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver,SQLServerDriver:1] skipping: driver[className=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver,SQLServerDriver:1] skipping: driver[className=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver,SQLServerDriver:1] skipping: driver[className=oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver,oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver@690403c3] SQLState(00000) vendor code(0)

Scott, Can you please post or email a screenshot of the Connection tab? Regards Roger support@dbvis.com
[Attachment has been removed.]

Attached is a screen shot of the connection window, along with the message below it.

Scott, Try switch the Driver to Oracle Thin. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, I already tried the Oracle Thin driver, but it didn't work. See my post on March 11 for the stack trace. I do have a solution though. Turns out that the Oracle OCI driver distributed with DbVisualizer 9 doesn't work. But the driver that comes with the Oracle 11g client tools _does_ work (ojdbc6.jar). The trick is that after you switch to this driver, you need to restart DbVisualizer, otherwise you get a java exception. I didn't think of doing this until a colleague suggested it. In version 8 this never used to happen. You could switch jdbc drivers and carry on without a problem. Scott.
[Attachment has been removed.]

I take that back. After restarting again, it's a new driver problem. I've attached images of my driver manager window and my connection window. An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: no ocijdbc11 in java.library.path Details:    Type: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError Stack Trace: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc11 in java.library.path    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection$1.run(T2CConnection.java:3506)    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.loadNativeLibrary(T2CConnection.java:3502)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.logon(T2CConnection.java:252)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(PhysicalConnection.java:531)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CConnection.(T2CConnection.java:148)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T2CDriverExtension.getConnection(T2CDriverExtension.java:53)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:503)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.ā(Z:1413)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi Scott, The OCI driver requires a DLL to be installed in one of the folders in the Java library path. Since it uses native code it is also more likely to cause problems, which can even crash the application. That's why we suggest you use the Thin driver instead. The error and stack trace you posted earlier from your test with the Thin driver looks very odd, because it appears as if the OCI driver is still used. That's why I asked you to post debug output from an attempt to connect with the Thin driver, but instead you posted debug output from an attempt with the OCI driver. To figure out what's wrong, please post: 1) A screenshot of the Connection tab with the Thin driver selected, so we can see what other settings you have used, 2) The debug output from connecting using exactly these connection setting. Best Regards, Hans

My problem with the Oracle Thin driver seems to be solved now. When you said this.... > The error and stack trace you posted earlier from your test with the Thin driver looks very odd, because it appears as if the OCI driver is still used. ...I think you're right. I think that when I switch from one driver to another, DbVis never lets go of the original driver. It takes a restart to make this happen, and I didn't understand this until later. All it took was a restart to get the Oracle Thin driver to work, after changing it from Oracle OCI. I also did not realize that the Oracle OCI driver was dependent on other DLL files. I had always assumed that all JDBC drivers were stand-alone jar files. This is good to know. I can try to sort things out, and figure out what it's missing now. Or I may stay with the Oracle Thin driver. The important thing is that I have access to my Oracle instances again. Thanks! Scott.

Hi Scott, Great to hear you finally got connected! I'm unable to reproduce the problem you describe when switching from OCI to Thin requires a restart of DbVisualizer, but we'll keep an eye on it in case someone else run into the same problem. I recommend that you stay with the Thin driver. It works very well and doesn't require the extra configuration of the native DLLs as the OCI does. Only use the OCI driver if you have a very good reason for it, e.g. if it offers a feature that you absolutely need that the Thin driver doesn't provide. Best Regards, Hans