Start a new topic

Share physical connection?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi All, I notice in the [9.0 release notes|http://mac.softpedia.com/progChangelog/DbVisualizer-Changelog-8266.html] it notes as a feature that the "Single Physical Connection" option has been removed. Is there any replacement for this functionality? When working with temporary tables it's extremely useful. Thanks, Shaun Edited by: Shaun on Mar 8, 2013 1:39 AM Edited by: Shaun on Mar 8, 2013 1:40 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Share physical connection?
Hi, Just want to inform you all that there is now support for single physical connections in the just released 9.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.2 Regards Roger

Hi, I just want to inform you that "Use Single Physical Database Connection" is now re-introduced in the beta version for the upcoming 9.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger

Hi Ray, Change is always hard and we try to avoid it as much as possible, but I hope that you also appreciate the new features we have added that necessitated these changes. In case you are not aware of them, please see this post: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.0 A couple of hints based on your posts: Selecting a connection in the SQL Commander tab is different than using a single physical connection, which is what this thread initially discussed. For a very long time, each SQL Commander has by default used a separate physical connection. The difference in version 9.0 is that it is no longer possible to change the default and instead use a single physical connection for all. We are looking into if there is a way to reintroduce that option without reintroducing all the problems with the old solution that we dropped. Which logical connection to use for a SQL Commander tab is selected from the drop down list just as in earlier versions. If you have a node in the tree selected when you open a new SQL Commander tab, it is set to the connection the node belongs to. Otherwise it is set to the same connection as the currently opened SQL Commander tab, if any. An alternative to using separate SQL Commander tabs to build your complex queries, I believe the History window will be useful to you. Just enter the first version of the query, execute it, modify it, execute it, and so on until it produces the result you want. To see the previous versions and maybe revert to a previous version, open the Tools->SQL History window and you can see all the versions of the query you have executed. Double-click an entry in the list to load it into an SQL Commander tab. Instead of double-clicking a connection node to connect, you can connect by expanding the node. That actually takes just one click instead of two, so it is arguably an improvement compared to the old behavior. I hope these hints help you to get the most out of DbVisualizer 9.0. For the next version we are also working with the Users Guide to make it easier to figure out how to accomplish the things you want to do. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, It's not a matter of "need" - it's a matter of adjustment, as I said. In the previous version, it was easy to open a new tab and create a query. The way I got used to using DBVis was that many of my queries could be short and run fairly quickly. I use them (tabs) kind of like scratch pads when I want to investigate a piece of a larger query or lookup a value in a reference table. That way, I may have a larger, more complicated query or script and I can investigate / build it piecemeal - and the results of my investigation remained visible just by switching tabs. It's a simple matter, as I said, and I can accomplish the same thing by assigning the connection. It was just a little easier before. I might add, I also preferred double-clicking a connection to start it rather than view its properties as the v9x does. Thanks, Ray

Ray, Can you please share some details why you need just one single physical connection? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I would agree, as well. I recently upgraded from v7.x to 9.x and it's been a little difficult to get used to this change. Previously, I could have an active connection open and each new tab I opened would use that connection, same was true for opening a new file. Or if I had multiple connections, whichever one I was currently working with would be assigned to the new tab or file. Now I have to manually assign the connection every single time. I kind of miss the old functionality. It's not a disaster, but it does take some getting used to. I've even tried working with checking and unchecking the "sticky database" thing but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can see. Thanks, Ray

Thanks! :)

Christer, The main problem with having single physical connection enabled is that changes are committed implicitly. The scenario you describe is typical when this happen. - Run a few DML statements in the SQL Commander with auto commit off - Open the table data editor and modify a few rows, save the changes. - The save will in this case also commit the changes made in the SQL Commander. Some users are aware of this behavior while many aren't. To get the same behavior as in older versions, you need to manually commit the data in the SQL Commander before saving the data in the table data editor. Re-introducing single physical connection is something we've discussed but we need to ensure user have full control of pending transactions. This would also lead to features in DbVisualizer being locked (wait cursor displayed) until all database processing is finished. The reason for this is to make sure no parallel processing is made on the single physical connection. I will add your vote. Regards Roger

I agree that it is an important setting. I've been looking all over for it in v 9. Should have read the release notes I guess. I have managed to get myself into a locked state before when having a non-committed SQL and making a grid edit. Making sure they occur on the same connection fixes this. I *really* want this feature back.

I do also miss this option a lot. This is very important to me when connecting to production databases. I only want to create one session in the database (limitation sometimes required by operators), but use the navigation tree and have multiple sql files open. It is clear that only one command can run at any given time. Please consider adding this feature again! Thank you very much. Cheers, Chris

Hi Shaun, Can you please elaborate? When this option was enabled in earlier releases, it meant that a single connection was shared for internal queries issued by the objects tree, all object view tabs and all SQL Commanders, basically meaning that only one of these could run at the same time and that commits and rollbacks done in one SQL Commander affected pending transactions in all SQL Commanders. We removed the option because of these severe limitations. Maybe if you describe exactly what functionality you miss, we can find a way to add it without reversing the decision to remove the Single Physical Connection option. Best Regards, Hans