Start a new topic

UI very slow over forwarded X connection (v9.0.5)

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I'm using DbVisualizer 9.0.5 over a forwarded X connection and I'm finding the UI to be very slow. Right-click menus and switching between tabs takes seconds even when not connecting to any database. Both machines are on the same gigabit LAN and other rich UI applications (such as Eclipse) run just fine when forwarded in the same way over the same connection to the same host. Any ideas?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: UI very slow over forwarded X connection (v9.0.5)
Paul, Eclipse is using another UI toolkit than DbVisualizer which may explain the performance running it remotely via X. If you by any chance are able to try another Java/Swing based application I would expect the performance will be in par with DbVisualizer. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the suggestion. I've switched to the Metal look and feel and it's certainly much better now. I'd say it's only taking 1 second or so for menus to appear now. This is still much much slower than other applications like Eclipse. :(
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Paul, What look and feel are you using (check Tools->Tool Properties and the General->Appearance->Look And Feel setting). I suggest that you try another look and feel to see if it helps. Regards Roger