Start a new topic

auto reconnect

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, Is there a way to get auto reconnect to work for non sql commander tabs? Like if I have a table -> data tab pulled up and press refresh (on a dropped connection) it just sits there indefinitely. I then have click stop, then right click on database pane and say "reconnect", then say "force disconnect", then say "connect". It's really annoying. I'm working over a VPN on a crappy DSL connection, and it's impossible to keep a connection for more then a few hours, so when I go to refresh any tab I get stuck through that cycle. I'm hoping there's a way to have it actually auto reconnect, or at least immediately time out like the sql editor tabs, and then reconnect. I've played around with a lot of the "driver properties" but haven't had any luck, can only get auto reconnect to work on the sql editor. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: auto reconnect
Hi, I assume you are using a version earlier than 9.0, because in DbVisualizer 9.0 you get prompted to connect when you click reload in a Data tab, just as in the SQL Commander. Best Regards, Hans Edited by: Hans Bergsten on Apr 9, 2013 11:32 PM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

9.05 - full version. No when I click "refresh" on a table -> data tab, and the connection has dropped, it just sits there cycling the refresh circle indefinitely. This is with autoreconnect set in options for the mysql db connection. After it's cycling the refresh circle the only thing i can do is click "stop" (the icon next to the refresh). Then I right click on the database and say "reconnect". It pops up a box that says "Waiting for Connections to disconnect" with a status indicator - this box and indicator will sit there indefinitely too - unless I click the "force disconnect button". Then i have to right click again on database and say "connect". Then I can click refresh again and it'll work. It's been doing it for all the 9.x versions on two different linux boxes I have. Happens to me at least 10x a day. In a SQL commander tab - sometimes it hangs just the same with a dropped connection. Although most the time it comes back with a red error message "last packet successfully sent xxx seconds ago, connection dropped" something to that extent, and it automatically reconnects. So all I have to do is run the command again immediately afterwards it and it works. I guess this is the same behavior I would expect out of the table view tab, as it's the most convenient. Although like i said it doesn't always work (hangs). Edited by: theroot on Apr 10, 2013 2:51 AM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, Thanks for the clarification. In the situation you describe, the network connection is closed at the server end (or by something between the database server and the client, e.g. by a VPN server) but the client is not yet aware of that. Typically, it takes a time-out on the TCP/IP level to detect that the connection is no longer available, and that typically happens after a minute or so. The autoReconnect driver property probably does not help in this scenario, for the same reason. What I described is what happens if the client is aware of that the connection is closed, e.g. if you manually disconnect and the click reload in a Data tab for an associated table. We realize that the scenario you describe is common and will (again) look for a better solution. For now, all I can recommend is to try to figure out if there are configuration changes at then network and database server layers that can be made to minimize the frequency of dropped connection. Best Regards, Hans