Start a new topic

Connection to Firebird embedded database

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hey All, I've been trying to load up an embedded Firebird database in DbVis for some time with limited success. The current iteration I'm trying to connect with DbVis 9.0.7 with Jaybird 2.2.3 on RHEL5 x64. Firebird shows up in Driver Manager just fine, I create a connection and point it at the file as embedded, hit connect and get this result: ----- An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: Could not initialize class org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.EmbeddedGDSImpl Details:    Type: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError Stack Trace: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.EmbeddedGDSImpl    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.EmbeddedGDSFactoryPlugin.getGDS(EmbeddedGDSFactoryPlugin.java:40)    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.GDSFactory.getGDSForType(GDSFactory.java:220)    at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.getGDS(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:114)    at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.AbstractDriver.connect(AbstractDriver.java:120)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.ā(Z:1413)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679) ----- This sounds like it's having trouble using part of the Firebird JDBC, but I'm not sure how that happens, DbVis knows about the jaybird files, including jaybird-full-2.2.3.jar, which from what I read contains "everything you need" to connect to the firebird database... Does anybody have any idea where to go from here? I'm running out of manuals and forums to read on the topic (that I can make sense of at least...) Thanks! (Oh, when I first startup DbVis and try to connect I get this error, I installed the compat-glibc packages and now it only happens the first time after I click connect on startup) ---- An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: /opt/DbVisualizer/jdbc/jaybird/libjaybird22_x64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/DbVisualizer/jdbc/jaybird/libjaybird22_x64.so) Details:    Type: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError Stack Trace: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /opt/DbVisualizer/jdbc/jaybird/libjaybird22_x64.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/DbVisualizer/jdbc/jaybird/libjaybird22_x64.so)    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1750)    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1675)    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:840)    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1047)    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.JniGDSImpl.initJNIBridge(JniGDSImpl.java:64)    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.JniGDSImpl.(JniGDSImpl.java:25)    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.jni.EmbeddedGDSFactoryPlugin.getGDS(EmbeddedGDSFactoryPlugin.java:40)    at org.firebirdsql.gds.impl.GDSFactory.getGDSForType(GDSFactory.java:220)    at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.getGDS(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:114)    at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.AbstractDriver.connect(AbstractDriver.java:120)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.ā(Z:1413)    at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679) ---- Edited by: Ethan on Jun 15, 2013 12:27 AM
1 Comment

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Connection to Firebird embedded database
Ethan, I suggest you start by creating the database connection with the Tools->Connection Wizard feature. It will ask for some details and setup the connection for you. Give it a try and let us know the result. Regards Roger