Start a new topic

Postgres "explain plan" feature loses a lot of important information

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I love this feature - Ctrl+Alt+Enter - and I see a plan of the query with no need to write explain manually. But this feature doesn't give me a full return from original explain. E.g. I miss index name and filter conditions there. Can I somehow adjust this ?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Postgres "explain plan" feature loses a lot of important information
Hi, In the explain plan result (tree view) click the properties icon which will bring you to the settings for PostgreSQL explain plan setup. There you have the option to enable "Explain Analyze" which will give you more details at next run. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I meant smth other.. I don't compare "explain" and "explain analyze" in dbvis. I compare explain in dbvis and real explain. Real explain contains important information that is not displayed in dbvis. A I said earlier - they are indexes (I mean exact name of index, not just a fact that it was applied), filter conditions and others. Try to execute explain manually and you will see that not all information is displayed in dbvis visualization.

Hi, Thanks! We will look into adding more information for PostgreSQL in the next update. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'd like to propose to implement smth even smarter. Don't know about explain in other databases - but in PostgreSQL it is extremely hard. It has a lot of different types of plan nodes with extra information that is unique to node, that spans several rows and too difficult to parse. More over - this format is too coupled with exact PostgreSQL version, that is why you don't support PostgreSQL
[Attachment has been removed.]

Boraldo, Thanks for the suggestion. Next feature version (9.1) will have options to control whether explain for PostgreSQL should use the current tree/graph display or a plain text output. This also means that explain (in text output) will be supported for versions older than PostgreSQL 9.x. See attached screenshot. Regards Roger

Hi, This is now fixed and included in the 91.2037 BETA version. This version is for testing of the upcoming 9.1 version. Give it a try. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger

This is now included in the just released DbVisualizer 9.1. Best Regards, Hans