Start a new topic

jTDS for SQL Server connection to sSL SQL Server hangs with "beast" fix

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm tryiing to connect to a SQL Server with SSL encryption opton "ssl=request" or 'ssl=require" using various versions of SQL Server and the jTDS driver (also various versions). (Yes, a certificate is loaded on the servers) and connection just hangs. There's a known fix by disabling the "beast" fix in any JRE 1.6._029 version or greater and I tried that and it DOES work....however....I'd can't go into production with the "beast" fix turned off in Java. Microsoft's JDBC driver for sql 2008 has been fixed for this, but SourceForge's hasn't fixed their's and this is the one that comes with DBVIS and which we use. Anybody know if the SourceForge jdbc driver is going to be fixed for this?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: jTDS for SQL Server connection to sSL SQL Server hangs with "beast" fix
Hi, I googled a bit and found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653857 It appears that the problem is in the SQL Server software and that there is service pack for fixing it. I hope it helps. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the research Hans. I had already found that link too and applied the patch to my test dSQL Server and it still doesn't work. I have found other people on the network who have applied the updated SQL Server patch and it didn't fix the problem. Someone else reported the same bug to SourceForge in July '13 but there was no response from SourceForge so I'm wondering if they are even going to fix it. Some of our SQL Servers are at SQL SERVER 2008 R2 SP2 cu1 or SQL 2012 with SSL set to "forced" and we can't connect with DBVIS with the jTDS driver at all and that is the default driver in DBVIS for connecting to SQL Server. I even tried downloading the latest jTDS driver V1.3.1 and added to DBVISUALIZER but still hangs when connecting to DB. Something as important as SSL we should be able to use with the jTDS driver.

Hi, Sorry to hear that, but I can only refer you to the jTDS community. Until you get a solution from them, I guess you need to use a different driver. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am also getting the same issue with MS SQL 2005.My Application is by default using jtds 2.1.6 and I am getting Connection reset error. Please let me know if you find the solution.Its urgent. Warm regards, Milap

Milap, Have you tried the MS JDBC driver? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937724.aspx Regards Roger

This bug also applied to the MS JDBC driver too unless you patch your SQL SERVER. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653857 After I applied Service Pack 2 to my SQL Server 2008 R2 then the MS JDBC driver could connect with ssl. Before that, it would just hang like the jTDS driver did. I don't know if they have a patch for SQL Server 2005 though. Milap, There is an open bug report at the jTDS developer website for this, but no fix yet. Kam