Start a new topic

Verion 9 usability restriction when clicking object tree elements

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

In version 8.0.x the right object view window always changes if another object has been clicked in the left connection tree windows. This feature / behaviour is no longer active in verion 9.0/9.1 pro. This is a pitty. Now I always have to double click on the left side to open the correcponding object window. Is there a configuration settings I can activate to get back the usability behaviour of the version 8? If not, will this feature be re-provided in a further version?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Verion 9 usability restriction when clicking object tree elements
Hi, 9.0 introduced a few changes in order to support a long list of new features. One is that objects are now open using double-click, the Enter key or using key bindings (Ctrl+L). One benefit that you will experience is that it is now possible to have multiple object view tabs open at the same time. You may then browse or edit one database object while opening another. This was not possible in versions before 9.0. Read the following section in the users guide for more details about how to work with database objects and tabs in general from 9.0: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Opening+a+Tab Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Welcome to the unhappy crowd, Ostelte!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've got used to the new behaviour now and like it very much. Many people do seem to like the old single-object behaviour though. I see you have configuration options already in Tool Properties>Key Bindings>Double Click but the only options there are to assign Open in Tab, Open In Floating Tab and Open in New Tab to either Double-Click or Alt-Double-Click. I think this should be expanded to allow single Left-Click, Middle-Click options. Additionally, there should be the option to bind these new click events to a Select Object action (which Left-Click currently performs). This way users could make DBVis 9 work like Version 8 if they really want to. Another handy action to have would be Expand/Collapse Columns to replicate the action of expanding the table object then the column list to allow easy drag/drop of names when writing SQL queries.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Vince, > {quote:title=Vince Swann wrote:}{quote} > I've got used to the new behaviour now and like it very much. > > Many people do seem to like the old single-object behaviour though. Being in the position of monitoring all channels of feedback on 9.x, I must say that "many" is a dramatic overstatement. > I see you have configuration options already in Tool Properties>Key Bindings>Double Click but the only options there are to assign Open in Tab, Open In Floating Tab and Open in New Tab to either Double-Click or Alt-Double-Click. > > I think this should be expanded to allow Single-Click, Middle-Click options. Unfortunately this is not possible, since single-click is used to make the selection of a node or nodes. Double-click, enter key or use of key bindings are used to open the selected object(s). You find more information in this thread while 9.0 was beta tested a year ago: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4190&tstart=50 > Additionally, there should be the option to bind these new click events to a Select Object action. > > This way users could make DBVis 9 work like Version 8 if they really want to. > Another handy action to have would be Expand/Collapse Columns to replicate the action of expanding the table object then the column list. Can you pleas clarify this? > It would also be nice to configure what happens when you Left-Drag (currently brings up an annoying menu I rarely need) or Ctrl-Left-Drag (currently copies the object name, which I prefer to do 99% of the time) from the object tree to a SQL Commander window. I would like the option to swap the behaviour of these two actions. Check the "Drop Database Objects in SQL Editor" setting in Tool Properties->General->SQL Commander. Set it to "Insert Object Name" to swap the default behavior. Regards Roger