Start a new topic

Auto Completion ... is not always completing..

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi ... Having weird issues with Auto Completion feature... Sometimes it works, and most of the time it doesnt.. Consider this: *select g.sales_channel_cd* *from gtr_sales_channel g* First I typed select and the from parts, then gave alias to the table, then went back to my select part and typed g. followed by Ctrl+Space.. Auto complete popped up. Great! . Now i needed to continue and do some concatenation : *select g.sales_channel_cd || ' ' || {color:#3366ff}g.sales_channel_touch* *{color}from gtr_sales_channel g* The Auto Completion did not work the second time I typed g. followed by Ctrl+Space to add sales_channel_touch field... Version: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1 [Build #2050] OS: Windows XP OS Version: 5.1 OS Arch: x86 Java Version: 1.6.0_43 Java VM Name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java VM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. Look and Feel: SyntheticaStandardLookAndFeel

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Auto Completion ... is not always completing..
Hi Alex, Thanks for reporting this. It is because the vertical bar is not recognized as a column separator. It will be fixed in the next maintenance release. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

What I also noticed, and I think it was meant to be this way, but I personally do not find it useful is when you have: select * from table1 a , table2 b where a.abc = b.xyz select * from table8 a ,table9 b where a.fld = b.fld I was on my second select statement building joins between table8/table9 and when I hit the key for autocomplete for 'a' and 'b', it would show me fields from the tables from first select and from the one that i was actually working with... Can dbVis recognize that I do not need to see the noise of columns from tables that I am not working with in a current select? thanks.

Hi Alex, If you use statement separators (";" by default), the column list only contains the columns from tables in the current statement. Best Regards, Hans

Alex, Just to inform you this is now fixed in the just released 9.1.1 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger It seems that autocompletion does not work with certain keywords. Consider the below: after typing "case when a." and hitting Ctrl+Space, the autocomplete does not show the popup.. +select+ + count(a.DummyID)+ + ,*case when {color:#ff0000}*a.*{color} +from iTB_DummyDual a+ +where DummyID = 1+ +----------------------------------------------------------------+ +Version: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.1 [Build #2063]+ +OS: Windows 7+ +OS Version: 6.1+ +OS Arch: x86+ +Java Version: 1.6.0_51+ +Java VM Name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM+ +Java VM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.+ +Look and Feel: SyntheticaStandardLookAndFeel+ Edited by: AlexML on Oct 3, 2013 12:03 PM

Hi Alex, Thanks for reporting this. It will be fixed in the next maintenance release. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Also wanted to point out that it also does not work when you have database prefix on tables.. 1) select * from db_name..table_name where .... <-- would not bring the autocomplete (you can see bunch of exceptions in the Debug window) 2) Derived table joins... would also not bring up the autocomplete. Thanks..

Hi Alex, Thanks for the feedback. I have opened tickets to look into these two cases when we look at improvements to auto completion in general, as they are not as straightforward to fix as the previous issues you have reported. Best Regards, Hans

Alex, This is now fixed in the just released 9.1.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download Regards Roger

Hi select * from *tempdb*.*guest*.GreenSheetsStaging where .. Debug window: 09:06:20 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-45 J.execute] Executing... 09:06:20 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-71 C.?] RootConnection: SybConnection.createStatement() 09:06:20 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-71 B.?] RootConnection: SybStatement.execute("SELECT * FROM guest.GreenSheetsStaging WHERE 1 = 0") 09:06:20 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-71 B.?] RootConnection: EXCEPTION -> com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybSQLException: guest.GreenSheetsStaging not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output). com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybSQLException: guest.GreenSheetsStaging not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output). at com.sybase.jdbc4.tds.Tds.processEed(Tds.java:4013) at com.sybase.jdbc4.tds.Tds.nextResult(Tds.java:3103) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.ResultGetter.nextResult(ResultGetter.java:79) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:290) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:272) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.executeLoop(SybStatement.java:2594) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.execute(SybStatement.java:2581) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.execute(SybStatement.java:1293) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor44.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.B.?(Z:104) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) 09:06:20 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-45 A.?] AutoComplete exception com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.O: com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybSQLException: guest.GreenSheetsStaging not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output). at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.J.execute(Z:2864) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.Y.?(Z:1386) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.Y.run(Z:337) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.W.?(Z:2431) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.W.?(Z:1021) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.W.?(Z:284) at com.onseven.dbvis.f.A.A$7.?(Z:763) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.A.I.execute(Z:2291) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.Y.?(Z:1386) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.K.?(Z:1374) at com.onseven.dbvis.J.B.K.doInBackground(Z:1521) at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybSQLException: guest.GreenSheetsStaging not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output). at com.sybase.jdbc4.tds.Tds.processEed(Tds.java:4013) at com.sybase.jdbc4.tds.Tds.nextResult(Tds.java:3103) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.ResultGetter.nextResult(ResultGetter.java:79) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:290) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(SybStatement.java:272) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.executeLoop(SybStatement.java:2594) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.execute(SybStatement.java:2581) at com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybStatement.execute(SybStatement.java:1293) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor44.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.B.?(Z:104) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) ... 3 more

Hi Alex, Do you mean that this happen even though tempdb.guest.GreenSheetsStaging is an existing table? I get the same trace if I try with a non-existing table (which is basically what the error message says) but not if I auto complete after WHERE for an existing table. Please clarify. Best Regards, Hans
[Attachment has been removed.]

Yes, This is an existing table. See attached jpg. Thanks.

Hi Alex, Okay, I'm able to reproduce it now. Thanks for reporting it. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Alex, As a temporary work-around: 1) Open Tools->Tool Properties, 2) Under the Database tab, expand the Sybase ASE node and select the SQL Statements node, 3) Select the SELECT ALL entry in the list and change its template to: SELECT * FROM $$catalog$$$$catalogseparator$$$$schema$$$$schemaseparator$$$$table$$ We are looking for a permanent solution. Best Regards, Hans