Start a new topic

You are running out of memory - popup stops me using dbvis.

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi, I've run a big query. I have multiple tabs open that I don't want to lose. I have 100MB of available memory to go. (I will go increase the value in config file later to have a couple of gigabytes) The 'High Memory Usage Detected' popup window with the 'you are running out of memory' keeps popping up asking me to close stuff to free more memory. I don't want to close the tabs as they have results pinned that I can't now get back. I want the popup to stop getting in my face so I can at least stop the current query. At the moment I can't do anything except click 'continue' on the popup which then re-appears about a second later. So even though I have 100MB still free the program is essentially hung and unusable because of warning popup. So,maybe this a feature request: Have option to only show once the 'High Memory Usage Detected' popup message - after that consider user warned - it then becomes there look out. OR, on the warning popup have option to stop the current query that is currently running and consuming the memory. DbVisualiser Pro 9.0.7 on Windows 7 pro 64bit. Regards, Bryce.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: You are running out of memory - popup stops me using dbvis.
Hi Bryce, We are continuing to tweak the Memory Monitoring feature, and we agree that is not perfect yet. It pops up when the JVM tells us that there is less than 5 MB left for "long lived objects", because with less than that there may not be enough to close down tabs and stop tasks without freezing the GUI. There may still be lots of memory left for "short lived objects" when this happens, which is why you see roughly 100 MB "free" in your case, but that type of memory does not prevent freezing the GUI. A problem is that some tasks, like loading the result into a GUI grid may temporarily consume lots of memory that can not be used for anything else until the task is finished ("long lived objects", as far as the JVM is concerned). This may cause the JVM to tell us it is time to pop up the dialog. Normally, you then see the task in the dialog and can stop it to release this memory. But even after the task that gets the data from the database is done, some memory that is not usable for anything else may temporarily be consumed. That seems to be what happens in your case, since you do not see the task in the dialog. In the list of tabs, you can close individual result set and Data tabs. You do not have to close pinned tabs if closing other tabs releases enough memory to continue. Like I said, we are tweaking this as best we can between maintenance releases, but given the complexity of the memory allocation model and garbage collection methods, there will always be cases where being close to the edge will cause problems. If you find that you often see the Memory Monitor dialog, you need to increase the amount of memory available to the JVM: http://confluence.dbvis.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3146118 Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, thanks for the explanation. Good luck with your continued efforts at tweaking. I've now increased my memory for the JVM up to 1.5GB - that should keep it going. Regards, Bryce.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, One further note - when I updated my existing installation (9.0.7 to 9.1.1) it did not keep my existing 'dbvis.vmoptions' with my custom memory setting but went back 512MB. This is probably why I ran out of memory in first place, as I was sure I previously had it set a lot higher, I guess an earlier upgrade removed it. Cheers, Bryce.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Bryce, Thanks for the feedback. Keeping dbvis.vmoptions when upgrading is an issue we are trying to get resolved. Best Regards, Hans