Start a new topic

Restoring right-click "Script Object to New SQL Editor"

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I'm really trying to get used to v9 as opposed to v8 which just felt more natural to my workflow. I added the right-click menus for "Script Object to New SQL Editor" as described in Roger's post near the end of this thread: [http://www.dbvis.com/forum/message.jspa?messageID=16360#16366] However, using this command leaves off the table schema, and automatically terminates the statement with a semicolon. Therefore, each time I use it, I need to manually add the schema, and I also need to delete the semicolon in order to add a WHERE or ORDER BY statement. I have confirmed that in v8, the right-click commands _do_ include the schema and _do not_ terminate the command with a semicolon. One other issue is that restoring this functionality needs to be done multiple times to cover multiple profiles. Although I added it to the Generic profile, it had no effect when connecting to SQL Server, H2, etc. How can I restore the same functionality that existed in v8? Can these right-click menus be added to ALL database profiles, instead of just one at a time? Thanks very much.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Restoring right-click "Script Object to New SQL Editor"
Hi, I will look into this. From 9.1.1 or 9.1.2 the options specified in the Script Table dialog are saved between DbVisualizer sessions. The only difference in having the Scripting right-click menu entries (the pre 9.0) style is that it saves one click compared to using the script window. Based on this enhancement what is the motivation not using the Script window rather than the old right-click menu entries? You will need to add the block in each database profile file you are using these. The actions section in the generic profile is used only for databases not having a dedicated profile. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

+what is the motivation not using the Script window rather than the old right-click menu entries?+ a) the Script window takes 2 extra clicks to get to "New Window", one to open the list and one to select "New Editor", then it also requires a click on "OK". Plus, those clicks are in a different part of the screen. b) the Script window is an interruption, an intrusion upon my focus. It distracts from the "SQL-think" in my head by taking the focus off my editor window and into this new modal dialog box, and presenting me with options I don't need 99.9% of the time. c) "Script Object to New Window" is the longest, and therefore most easily-recognizable "word-shape" in the right-click menu. It is highly usable without having to "read" the menu. It is identifiable (and click-able) without requiring specific focus. "Script Table" is _much_ less identifiable... you need to look for it, and the "word-shape" is almost identical to Export Table right above it. Here is some interesting info about word-shapes: http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/ I'm no scientist, I can't explain how my brain functions, but all I know is that my entire focus screeches to a halt when that dialog box comes up. It is incredibly distracting. I doubt I am the only user who feels this way. Thanks very much.

Hi, I wont argue since as you say it is a matter of a personal preference. In the next maintenance version we will fix so that the various Scripting settings in the connection properties will be honored when you run the old scripting actions. This include Qualifiers and Delimited Identifiers. Regards Roger

Hi, This is now fixed in the 9.1.3 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Roger, I installed 9.1.3 and right-clicked Script Object to New SQL Editor. The ending semicolon is gone (thanks!), however the schema name is still not included in the FROM clause. I can verify that when I use the Script Table box, my defaults are set to "Qualify Names" = ON and when I use that, the schema name is included.

Hi, Please verify that Qualifiers are enabled for Scripting in the Qualifiers category for your database type in Tool Properties or in the Properties tab for the connection. Best Regards, Hans

Thanks. Although it took me a while to hunt down this specific option, selecting it did fix the problem. I am trying to help a co-worker migrate to DBVis. I started writing down the steps needed to optimize, including getting the right-click "Script To New Editor" restored. Requiring a manual edit to an XML config file, setting this semi-hidden option, etc... it's a lot to do -- for a feature that existed and worked fine in v.8! I could understand if we were requesting something that never existed... but taking away a function used 20 times per day... wouldn't it just be easier to create an option to turn on (or off) those right-click options???