Start a new topic

keyboard navigation issues in 9.1.3

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It seems that in 9.1.3, some keyboard navigation issues have been fixed but new problems have been introduced. The menus still have a letter underlined (e.g. F for the File menu), but using alt + the underlined letter no longer activates the menus. Is there some setting now to activate this, or is it just broken? Control +1 is supposed to switch to the Databases tab, but this doesn't work. Is there any way to switch focus between the navigation pane and the object view or SQL Commander? Thanks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: keyboard navigation issues in 9.1.3
Hi, For mnemonics you need to press Alt and then when the underline is displayed, press the letter. Doesn't this work for you? In the next 9.1.4 version we have been improving the key bindings for jumping between Databases, Scripts, Favorites, and the current Object View/SQL Commander tabs so that focus is gained properly. 9.1.4 is planned for release in the next few days. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have a Windows setting enabled so that I always see the mnemonics underlined without having to press alt first. Then normally I would (for example) press the key combination alt + f to activate the File menu. This does not work. However, after reading your message I tried pressing and releasing the alt key, then pressing and releasing the f key, and that did work. However, I've never seen any other application where the combination didn't work, and I think this is expected behavior that it would (and it did work in previous releases of DB Visualizer). The Windows setting is under Control Panel, Ease of Access, Make the keyboard easier to use, Underline keyboard shortcuts. Thanks, Dana

Hi Dana, Unfortunately, this is out of our control as the behavior comes from the Java framework. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Are you using a different framework in 9.1.3? Because this worked fine in earlier versions, and I have no problem with other java software such as IntelliJ. The reason this matters to me is because I use voice recognition software, and the ability to do things through keystrokes rather than mouse actions is critical. For this one application to require 2 keyboard actions where every other application requires 1 is very inconvenient. Thanks, Dana

Hi Dana, There may be a difference between Java 6 and Java 7. I assume you are using Java 7 for DbVisualizer. If you also have Java 6 installed, try changing the DbVisualizer configuration to use Java 6 instead: http://confluence.dbvis.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3146120 Best Regards, Hans

I tried this, and verified in the About box that it was running 1.6 (and that I was previously running 1.7). Unfortunately, it did not change the behavior. Thanks, Dana

Hi Dana, Thanks for testing. You say it worked in earlier versions of DbVisualizer. Can you tell us a specific version where it worked? Best Regards, Hans

It worked in some previous 9.1.x version, but I'm not sure which one I had. Is there anything in my install directory that would tell me (after having upgraded to 9.1.3) what version I upgraded from? If not then all I know is it was 9.1. Thanks Dana

Hi Dana, Thanks. We have not made changes in the 9.1.x branch that could affect this, so it must then that you used a different Java version earlier. Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all I can tell you. Best Regards, Hans