Start a new topic

Can't change Java memory allocation 9.1.3 Windows 7

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I changed the Java memory allocation using Tools | General | Java edit box, but entered -Xmx4096 instend of -Xmx4096m. Now 9.1.3 won't start - brief flicker of start up logo - then dies. Editing the dbvis.vmoptions file does nothing. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling -- no change -- still won't start. I suppose there's something in the Windows registry that uninstall doesn't clear out -- but where? Basically 9.1.3 is unusable at the moment.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Can't change Java memory allocation 9.1.3 Windows 7
Hi, You have probably entered a too high number for -Xmx Open a Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\\.dbvis In that folder you will find user.vmoptions. Open it in a text editor and lower the setting of -Xmx and the try start DbVisualizer. How much RAM do you have available? Make sure -Xmx is higher than 2/3 of RAM that is available. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thank you. You have solved the problem. I have plenty of RAM (32GB), but I entered a number:that was too small: 4096 rather than 4096M. That was too small for DBVis to start. I didn't know that there was another copy of vmoptions in C:\Users\\.dbvis. I tried to edit the copy in C:\Program Files\DbVisualizer Thank you again for the rapid solution.

Hi, Great you found the solution. The user specific user.vmoptions file was introduced in DbVisualizer 9.1.3 along with the UI in Tool Properties to modify it. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm having the exact same problem with Mac 10.10 and DBViz 9.2.6. I tried to change my memory settings via the "override" option in the DBViz preferences. I think I set the memory too high, the program crashed and now won't start. I looked for the vmoptions.txt in /Applications/DBvisualizer.app, but that is set correctly and I'm still stuck. My boss just bought a license for me too, so I hope I'm not stuck. Any advice on a fix or workaround? Edited by: Kris Eberwein on May 1, 2015 3:41 AM

Hi Kris, you need to remove a file in your .dbvis folder to reset the overridden value. Please see the warning note in this FAQ for the exact file name depending on platform: http://confluence.dbvis.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3146118 Best Regards, Hans