Start a new topic

JDBC/ODBC error connecting to MS Access

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I love this tool but the Driver issue is making me nuts. This connection string used to work, but no more. Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=C:\Users\mark\Desktop\BSCI Local\BSCI v2010 Fresh.accdb) FWIW, I get the same error regardless of the validity of the Path and File Name in the connection string. It's as if the driver is not there, it never gets to the point of trying to use the Path & File Name to connect. Always get " [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified". I am on a Win8 PC. I have done the upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1, and DBVisualizer no longer works. Coincidental? Security issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled most recent version of DBVisualizer Free (9.1.4), still no joy. Below is past from the debug window. I am stumped. Again, love the tool, but no DB connection means no tool. Any and all help appreciated. Mark JDBC to ODBC Bridge: Checking security No SecurityManager present, assuming trusted application/applet *Driver.connect (jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=C:\Users\mark\Desktop\BSCI Local\BSCI v2010 Fresh.accdb) JDBC to ODBC Bridge: Checking security No SecurityManager present, assuming trusted application/applet Allocating Environment handle (SQLAllocEnv) hEnv=205827776 Allocating Connection handle (SQLAllocConnect) hDbc=205806992 Connecting (SQLDriverConnect), hDbc=205806992, szConnStrIn=Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=C:\Users\mark\Desktop\BSCI Local\BSCI v2010 Fresh.accdb RETCODE = -1 ERROR - Generating SQLException... SQLState(IM002) vendor code(0) java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLDriverConnect(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcConnection.initialize(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.connect(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.D.?(Z:1413) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Closing connection (SQLFreeConnect), hDbc=205806992 Closing environment (SQLFreeEnv), hEnv=205827776
1 Comment

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: JDBC/ODBC error connecting to MS Access
Hi Mark, It may be due to an architecture mismatch. If you're on a 64-bit platform, make sure that the ODBC driver is also 64-bit and that you installed the 64-bit DbVisualizer with a 64-bit Java VM. I'm not a Windows guy, but this page seems to give some hints: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dfbd0406-bc69-436e-998b-7fc454012f91/64-bit-odbc-driver-for-microsoft-access?forum=netfx64bit If you can't get the 64-bit ODBC driver configuration, you may try with an all 32-bit setup: DbVisualizer, Java and ODBC driver. Best Regards, Hans