Start a new topic

Export/(Copy/Paste) data no longer exports/inports nulls

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi create table test ( fld1 varchar(20) not null ,fld2 varchar(10) null) go INSERT INTO test (fld1, fld2) VALUES ('not null val', 'val') INSERT INTO test (fld1, fld2) VALUES ('null val', null) go select * from test go 1) Select all and copy results 2) do select * from test again 3) Add empty row 4) Paste results 5) Save NULL value in the "null val" row is not saved -- it is a blank char now.. Same thing is with Export/Import table.... Please check as soon as possible...... Thanks. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.4 Build: #2099 (2013/12/07 10:20) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_65 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows 7 OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 6.1 Edited by: AlexML on Dec 11, 2013 10:35 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Export/(Copy/Paste) data no longer exports/inports nulls
Hi Team, anyone looking into this? TY!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Alex, All posts are processed. Some take more time than others. We'll get back to you shortly. Regards Roger

Alex, I assume you have changed the following in Tool Properties? Show Null Value as Specify Null Value as One drawback of having different strings for these is that copy/paste within DbVisualizer will not work. The reason is that copy put the copied null values as the string specified as "Show..." while paste requires the string specified as "Specify...". We have discussed making it possible to specify how nulls will be copied to clipboard. This must then match the string specified in "Specify..." so that following paste in DbVisualizer will work properly. We have this on the todo list. You say you experience similar problem with export/import. Can you please clarify as in these functions you may specifically specify how nulls will be exported and imported. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger No, I havent touched that setting in years.... I exported the test table as a csv, truncated the test table, and performed Import data into table. Instead of null, there was a blank imported.. Please try. Thanks.

Roger I have some interesting findings to share, shortly... stay tuned... ty
[Attachment has been removed.]

So, apparently "Specify Null Value As" is a new settings, as I could not find it in 9.1 version that I just installed to test. In 9.1, this issue does not happen.. If i copy and paste, it copies and pastes nulls where they should be, blanks where they should be, when i export data and import table data, it imports nulls where they should be and blanks where they should be. See attached screenshot, it is from 9.1 ver, after copy/paste. Hope this helps! THanks Roger!

Alex, So it works with 9.1 but not with 9.1.4? In your screenshot I assume the cell background colors mean: white = null gray = normal value Regards Roger

Roger Yes. Sorry for not indicating that..

Roger Hope this also helps: I tested 9.1.3 --- same issue 9.1.2 --- *no issue* So, something in 9.1.3 release that 'broke' this ?:| Thanks!

Alex, Can you export your settings using File->Export Settings. More specifically: Tool Properties Default Settings for Export Default Settings for Schema Export Leave the other areas unchecked. Email the settings.jar to support@dbvis.com. Do not post the file here in the forums. Regards Roger

From which app version? The latest one (9.1.4) ?

Alex, It doesn't matter as long as you are using 9.1.x. Roger

Alex, Just to let you know that copy/paste of null values within DbVisualizer now preserve the nulls independent what "Show Null As" is set to. This is fixed in 9.1.6 along with other copy/paste improvements. Check the release notes for details. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger