Start a new topic

Process running too long and doesn't seem to release

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Good afternoon. I am running this process on a Firebird 2.1 database and the process runs much longer then expected and if I stop the process it seems that the process is still running in the background. merge into Atable w using Btable o on (w.field1 = o.field1) and char_length(o.field3)

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Process running too long and doesn't seem to release
Hi Jim, DbVisualizer just sends the SQL to the database and has no way of showing what goes in within the database. SOme databases may have native tools to show statements that are executed, but I'm not sure about Firebird. I suggest you read the Firebird documentation. Regarding stopping a DbVisualizer task, we send a request to the database to cancel the execution and releases the DbVisualizer resources associated with the task. Some databases do not honor the cancel request, so the database may continue to execute the statement. There is no way for DbVisualizer to tell either way. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

> {quote:title=Jim Gardner wrote:}{quote} > ... > Table A has 40K rows, Table B has 40K rows. > > There aren't any primary or Foreign keys. Are there indexes? I'd imagine that you'd want an index on "field1" in your source table (Btable), or else the merge is going to have to do a full table scan of the source for each row in the target. I'd probably even suggest indexing both sides of the join. Also, in order to prevent updating a row in the target multiple times I would think that you'd want "field1" to be the primary key in your source table or at least have a unique index on that field (for more info see the warning at the bottom of the MERGE page in the Firebird docs).
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thank you very much Hans. I suspect it has something to do with Firebird but I wanted to rule out anything that I may be doing wrong with DBVisualizer. Thanks again for the help. Jim

I was thinking along those same lines as well. Great ideas and I really appreciate your help. Jim