Start a new topic

High memory usage aler/dialog....

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi. Was working with dbVis for a day. Had a few sql tabs open, some with result sets.. At some point High Memory Usage started to popup.. 3 issues that transpired and concerned me: 1) After clicking on Continue, the MODAL (??) dialog would come right back up, without letting me do anything else in the app (.. like let me save my work at minimum..) 2) After clicking on the red X button to close some sql tabs in hopes that it would free up memory and would make this dialog go away, (it did not even ask me to save the sql tab), the high mem # still remained the same.. 3)After closing ALL sql tabs and result tabs, and desperately waiting and clicking on the Garbage Collector button, this dialog would still not go away.. After the app was hanging with all tabs closed and the High memory usage alert, i took a snapshot of the task manager for dbvis process I finally shut down the app. All screen shots attached... Thoughts? Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.6 Build: #2117 (2014/01/26 21:20) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_65 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows 7 OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 6.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: High memory usage aler/dialog....
Hi Alex, Getting close to running out of memory is a big problem, which is why we try to display the High Memory Usage dialog when we detect this. It is, however, tricky to tell when the memory usage is dangerously high because memory so some more tweaking is probably possible (but far from easy). Regarding your specific issues, the dialog is modal because the only thing that can safely be done in this situation is to close tabs and stop tasks and that is what you can do in the dialog. The fact that it pos up immediately again means the memory usage is still considered close to the edge. Clicking the red X for a tabs should prompt about saving changes, just as when you close the tab normally. I cannot reproduce a case where this does not happen. Can you please describe a case where you do not get the prompt? Closing a tab normally releases the memory held by that tab. What you experienced indicates that there is a memory leak somewhere. We have resolved all memory leaks we have found, but I'm not saying we have found all. If you can provide a reproducible case it would be very much appreciated. I understand that this can be very frustrating, but you should be able to save all your work from the High Memory Usage dialog and finally use the Shutdown DbVisualizer button to close down everything in an orderly manner in case there is a memory leak. If this happens frequently, please see if any of these hints help: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Handling+Memory+Constraints Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans Yes, surely looks like there is a memory leak... I dont know how to reproduce this, as I said, I was working with the app all day, running queries, editing, closing result sets, etc.. all the normal to the app things... In the end, as I attached, I had no active sql connections, no open result sets, but a high memory usage dialog with over 1Gb in mem usage...

Hi Alex, We will look into adding a button to the dialog that produces some memory usage info that can help us find possible memory leaks in the future. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Just got this nice popup. Was importing data into a Table, 13% complete, task manager shows 1,394,420 bytes used Machine has 16Gb of mem, with 8Gb available as this happened.

I killed the dbVis PID, restarted and tried to load the file again.. Same issue..... see attached... The driver btw, is dbvis' jtds, . I am trying again, lowering commit size to 100 instead of 5000.... will see what happens... also, the file that i am trying to import is only 49Mb in size Edited by: AlexML on Mar 5, 2014 1:55 PM

OK.. Reducing commit size to 100 from 5000 seems to have solved it.. However, this now may be a different driver related issue, since i amusing jtds driver that comes with dbvis (that you recommended to test in http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4786&tstart=0 ) and not the jtds-7 as i used before... hmmmmm

Hi Alex, Commit size is 100 by default, and 5000 seems a bit high. Based on what you have described, I don't think it's a problem with the driver, just the effect of using a too high commit size. Best Regards, Hans

Hans Just to check again, I re-imported the file through the jtds-7 driver with commit size of 5,000 without issues.. But, to be on the safe side, I reduced the commit size to 500... Also, import through jtds-7 is faster than using bundled jtds.

Hi Alex, When you say "jtds-7", which driver do you refer to (e.g., download URL)? The latest jTDS driver I can find online is 1.3.1 which is later than the one we currently bundle, but I don't see a "seven" in the name or version number. Best Regards, Hans

Hi. jconn4.jar from jConnect by Sybase. See attached screenshot please.

Hi Alex, Okay, thanks for the clarification. jConnect and jTDS are two different drivers, not just two different versions of the same. Best Regards, Hans