Start a new topic

Slow Startup On MAC

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have had very slow loading of DbVisualizer 9.1.5 from my Macbook Pro (Mavericks, 8GB, 960GB SSD, Mid 2010 2.53ghz i5 core) for quite sometime now. The past several new releases have not improved this issue. Even with my SSD drive it takes close to 3 minutes. I was wondering if there is something I could be doing or not have set that is hampering a quicker start up.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Slow Startup On MAC
Hi, When DbVisualizer is slow do you mean that the splash screen is displayed for several minutes or doesn't the UI respond once coming up? What Java version are you using? Test the following: - Open a terminal - cd DbVisualizer.app/Contents/Resources/app Run ./dbvisgui.sh Is it slow as well? If it is slow then run the following: ./dbvisgui.sh -prefsdir /tmp/test What is the result? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, Thanks for the response. By slow, from the time I click on it, it takes almost 2 minutes before the Splash screen. The splash screen is visible for close to 2 minutes before DbVisualizer is loaded. As far as running, it runs fine. What Java version are you using? 1.6.0_65 Test the following: Open a terminal cd DbVisualizer.app/Contents/Resources/app Run ./dbvisgui.sh Is it slow as well? yes, splash screen displayed for 1 minute 45 seconds before DbV loaded and ready for use. Terminal had following message after running above command: Mar 3 12:11:47 XXXXXX.local java[4658] : The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Closed DbV If it is slow then run the following: ./dbvisgui.sh -prefsdir /tmp/test Splash screen appeared for about 15 seconds, then asked to set up new database connection, the terminal had following message: Mar 3 12:16:25XXXXXX.local java[4729] : The function `CGContextErase' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. What is the result?

Hi, The problem seem to be in Java for some strange reason. I am using the same versions of Java and Mavericks and have not seen the message at launch. I suggest you give the Java 7 installer for DbVisualizer a test and verify if the performance problem go away. Download here: http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Let me know the progress. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I actually downloaded Java 1.7.0_45, installed it. The re-installed DbVisualizer using the link provided by you, and then installed the DbV for Mac Java 1.7. Alas, took 4 minutes to come up, 2 for splash to appear and 2 for splash to go away and have DbV ready for use. Did a reboot between the Java update and the reinstall of DbV.

Hi, It would be great if you can generate a Java dump while running the dbvisgui.sh script. Do this by first opening the Activity Monitor in Mac OS and then launch the dbvisgui.sh script as explained in a previous post. - Once dbvisgui.sh is started locate the DbVisualizer process in the activity monitor and select it - Open the View->Send Signal to Process window - Select Quit (SIGQUIT) and press the Send button A dump should now be written in the terminal in which the dbvigui.sh script was launched. Post the log in a reply. Regards Roger

Will try and get that done by tomorrow for posting, thanks!