Start a new topic

dbvis 9 causes switch to discrete graphics on rMBP

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I just upgraded to dbvis 9.1 from version 8 and noticed that the new version (now running on Java 7, had 6 before) is causing my MacBook Pro (Late 2013) to switch to the discrete graphics. I have several other applications running on Java 7 (e.g. Eclipse) which do not cause this. I think the JavaApplicationStub can possibly be exchanged against one that doesn't trigger this. Has anyone more insight? Maik

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: dbvis 9 causes switch to discrete graphics on rMBP
Maik, How do you determine that your MBP switch to discrete graphics when running DbVisualizer? I am looking for a way to reproduce this. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The most popular utility for this is [gfxCardStatus|http://gfx.io]. (uh, the forum seems to not recognize a url that short as one?) Edited by: Maik Musall on 03.04.2014 10:30
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Maik, Thanks for the link. I've verified the behavior and yes for Java 7 and 8 it switches to Discrete while running DbVisualizer and with Java 6 it stays with the Integrated. This is unfortunately managed by Java and I haven't found any option to control it. The following article may give some details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21170644/is-it-currently-possible-to-enable-the-macs-integrated-graphics-chip-in-a-java Eclipse use another windowing toolkit (SWT) than DbVisualizer (Swing/AWT). That may explain why Eclipse doesn't cause the card change. The best option for now seems to be gfxCardStatus and that Integrated Only is checked before starting DbVisualizer. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I can confirm this happens on my machine as well. This is unfortunate because the discrete video card uses significantly more battery than the integrated. dbvis 7 did not have this issue, dbvis 9 does. I like to keep dbvis running pretty much constantly and this makes it much more difficult to do so. Seems like this will cause a lot of issues for anyone running on a newer macbook.