Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 9.x consumes 100% CPU on execute

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi! I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and java 1.7.0_60 64-bit. I'm connected to DB2 database. The problem I have is this: - whenever I run a procedure that runs for a minute or two one CPU gets to 100% and stays there until the procedure is finished I've attached two thread dumps of DbVisualizer 9.1.9. Thread dumps were taken couple of seconds apart. I hope you will find the cause and fix it. Best regards, Kovi

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DbVisualizer 9.x consumes 100% CPU on execute
Hi Kovica, It seems like the driver is trying to read the result in a loop. Which JDBC driver do you use? If there's a later version, please try to upgrade to see if that makes a difference. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I've DB2 upgraded driver to latest version and still experience the same symptoms. dbvis3.txt and dbvis4.txt are two stack traces I took couple of seconds inbetween. Just to point out. I've been trying IntelliJ's 0xDBE tool and I don't get the same sympthoms there, so I imagine it is not the drivers fault. Best regards, Kovi

Hi Kovica, Other than the JDBC driver, the only thread running when executing a query or procedures is the animated GIF showing progress in the SQL Commander tab and the main window status bar. There is an issue with animated GIFs in Java, especially in tabs, where the CPU peaks abnormally. Here is the bug report: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-6306909 Typically, this has no or just minor performance implications, but one workaround you can do is to replace the animated gif icon with a static image. Do as follows: 1) Open the Finder and navigate to DbVisualizer.app/Contents/Resources/app/resources 2) Create a new images folder 3) Save attached file in the images folder as *animatedProgress1.gif* 4) Re-start DbVisualizer and check whether the CPU is affected Please let us know the progress. Best Regards, Hans Edited by: Hans Bergsten on Jun 23, 2014 9:12 PM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm using Linux. Where should I put the image there?

Kovica, 1) Open a file explorer and navigate to DBVIS-HOME/resources 2) Create a new images folder 3) Save attached file in the images folder as animatedProgress1.gif 4) Re-start DbVisualizer and check whether the CPU is affected Regards Roger

This is solved. :) Now CPU is low, at 5% during the execution time. Great. Best regards, Kovi

Kovica, Great it works better. You are not the first user reporting this so in the next maintenance version there will be a property used to control whether a static icon should be displayed instead of the animated. Regards Roger

Great. :) Thanks. Kovica

Kovica, DbVisualizer 9.1.10 has just been released with a fix for the spinning icon. Start by download and install it: http://www.dbvis.com Once installed you need to open the following file in a text editor: DBVIS-HOME/resources/dbvis-custom.prefs Go to the very end of the file and replace: #dbvis.showFixedProgressIcon=false To: dbvis.showFixedProgressIcon=true Don't forget to remove the leading hashmark and set the value = true. Regards Roger

Hi! Great news. I've tried it and it is working. Thanks.