Start a new topic

Ridiculous CPU usage

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

As for a program that is just sitting idle in the background, 15% CPU usage is pretty damn high. Does it really take that much just to keep the PostgreSQL connection alive? It makes my Mac hot like a pan. This is the only reason I would migrate away to something less resource consuming, like Oracle SQL Developer. This issue has been there forever and it's definitely not getting any better in the recent versions.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Ridiculous CPU usage
Oleg, Just tested with DbVisualizer 9.1.9 connected to PostgreSQL and the CPU is between 1-2%. Same numbers on both an MBP and iMac with Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Running Java 1.7.0_60. - Which DbVisualizer version are you using? - Which JDBC driver version? - Java version? - What Look and Feel are you using in DbVisualizer (Tools->Tool Properties and the General->Appearance category) Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hey Roger, Thanks for the prompt response! Here go my details: Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.9 Build: #2154 (2014/06/16 16:42) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.6.0_51 Java Vendor: Apple Inc. OS Name: Mac OS X OS Arch: x86_64 OS Version: 10.8.4 JDBC Driver version is 9.2 The thing is, the load does not come up right away. I have to open a couple of connections, run a few queries, open a few objects here and there, then is goes to 5%. When I open a table in a tab, CPU goes up to 30%. When I close the table, it goes down to 15%, not less and stays at 15% until I restart. After restart, it's back to 3%. Thanks, -Oleg

Hi Oleg, Since you are on Mac and others have reported similar problems during execution the following post may be of interest: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4910&tstart=0 Let me know if this helps also for you. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Roger - so far that seems to help. Unbelievable. Must have been one of the most overlooked bugs in Java.

Oleg, I totally agree! Hopefully there will be a good fix in Java soon. In the next DbVisualizer version there will be a switch to always use a static image instead of the animated. Regards Roger