Start a new topic

Ubuntu Connecting to MSSQL

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I am having a hard time getting DbVisualizer to connect to a mssql server. I found the .jar driver from microsoft as your version doesn't gives me errors right away and talks about the driver not fitting properly. I am now using the SQL Server 2012 Microsoft JDBC driver but I keep getting the error. An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: The TCP/IP connection to the host weblinkconnect.com, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Connection refused. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.". Details:    Type: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException    SQL State: 08S01 It spins its wheels for awhile before I get this error. I have even tried this url. jdbc:sqlserver://weblinkconnect.com:1433;DatabaseName=BoiseMetroIDCOC and I get the exact same issues. Do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Ubuntu Connecting to MSSQL
Hi, "Connection refused" indicates a network error. The rest of the error message suggests what you need to look at. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Well on the exact same server I can use php with: $mslink = mssql_connect('thehost.com', 'databseuser', 'password'); mssql_select_db('database_name', $mslink); $query = "select dbo.Category_View.ListingCategory_Category, dbo.Category_View.ListingCategory_Keywords, dbo.Category_View.ListingCategory_CategoryID, dbo.Category_View.StandardCategory_StandardCategory, dbo.Category_View.ListingCategory_StandardCategoryID from dbo.Category_View"; $results = mssql_query($query); while($res = mssql_fetch_array($results)) { var_dump($res); } And it connects just fine and returns all the data.. So to me this kind of rules out that there is an issue trying to connect from my host. I am not sure if I am just missing something or what may be happening. But I would thin if php can connect to a mssql server from this location why can't this program. I'll keep trying to investigate.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, Assuming that PHP uses TCP/IP connection, it sounds like the issue must be something else then. Please try with the bundled jTDS driver instead of the Microsoft driver. If it still fails, please open Tools->Debug WIndow and enable debugging for DbVisualizer. Then try to connect and include the debug output in your reply. Best Regards, Hans