Start a new topic

Function Reference for dbVisualizer

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I'm new to DbVisualizer and I'm looking for some good, free :-) documentation regarding dbVisualizer SQL functions. I've gotten lots of hits on creating functions in DbVisualizer, but I haven't been able to find a good website that offers a breakdown of the different functions. For example, the following is what I use for SQL Server: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174318.aspx If you're aware of a good reference, please let me know. Or, if I'm better off just going with SQL Standard functions, let me know. Thanks, Stuart

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Function Reference for dbVisualizer
Hi Stuart, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. Functions like the ones in the page you linked are part of the database that connect to, and you can use them in the DbVisualizer SQL Commander when you write and execute SQL statements. If you're looking for the DbVisualizer Users Guide, you find it here: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Users+Guide It describes how to work with DbVisualizer, including how to execute SQL statements and how to create your own SQL functions (using the language provided by your database). If this is not what you were asking about, please let us know. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, First off, thank you for your reply and the link. I did come across that link when I was looking for a reference to the functions available in DbVisualizer. But I didn't see listing, or library, of the different functions available in DbVisualizer. I'm sure many of the DbVisualizer functions are the same as those listed in the TSQL reference for SQL Server (because I imagine most are SQL Standard), but I don't believe all of them are. For example, if I execute the following query in SQL Server select getdate() I get the current system date & time where the SQL Server instance resides. When I execute that same query in DbVisualizer, I get an error. I can use the TSQL reference in the link I originally sent and just workaround the functions that are unique to SQL Server. However if there is a function library for DbVisualizer, I would prefer to use it. Stuart
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Stuart, Sorry if I wasn't clear. DbVisualizer does not provide any SQL functions. Everything you enter in an SQL Commander is sent to the database and executed by the database, so you can use any SQL function that the database provides. "select getdate()" works for me when I'm connected to an SQL Server. What error message did you get? Best Regards, Hans