Start a new topic

DBVis no longer works

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I was using DBViz just fine up until a little while ago. I even got work to pay for a license. We use big data so I connect to Redshift. Anyway I was getting Out of Memory issues and so I increased the memory to 1024. That worked but I need to run multiple queries, so I tried to increase it some more Now DBViz won't start from the normal exe So I research the issue, start the program from the gui.bat. No problem But that only has 341 MB of RAM assigned So I look for the section in Tools to update the setting Nope doesn't exist So I figure I have to change the dbvis.vmoptions file directly So I make some changes and try starting the program using the standard exe, but no joy I now can only start the program using the gui.bat and am restricted to 340MB My vmoptions file currently looks like this: -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true -include-options ${USERPROFILE}\.dbvis\user.vmoptions -include-options ${HOME}/.dbvis/user.vmoptions I updated to Pro 9.1.9 Any pointers?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DBVis no longer works
this post may help: http://www.dbvisualizer.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4922&tstart=0 I was experiencing issues when I upgraded to 9.1.10 right now and deleted the file. it works fine. Edited by: Emily on Aug 12, 2014 4:57 PM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Emily Thanks for the quick reponse You're right: deleting that file allows me to start DBViz using the standard exe. The bad news is that it does so with 170MB, and still no options in the Tools to change the amount of RAM For the record, I've gone from 1GB to 170MB and I still can't see what I've done wrong - Does anyone have a clean version of dbvis.vmoptions?
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Chris, After removing the user.vmoptions file and starting DbVisualizer with dbvis.exe, you should again be able to increase theme memory in Tool Properties as you did before. The danger is that if you set a too high max memory amount, you're not able to start using dbvis.exe again until you again remove the user.vmoptions file. You don't say anything about the platform you run on, but I assume it is Windows on a 32-bit processor. If so, the amount of memory you can specify is limited (typically just a bit more than 1 GB), see this article for some more info: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1434779/maximum-java-heap-size-of-a-32-bit-jvm-on-a-64-bit-os Also note that the amount of memory shown in the DbVisualizer status bar is the amount that is really available for new activity, taking memory allocated to pools for temporary objects into account. It will therefore always be lower that the max memory you specify. You may also find this section of the Users Guide helpful: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Handling+Memory+Constraints Best Regards, Hans