Start a new topic

Oracle OCI on Mac OS X Mavericks

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I'm trying to get the OCI drivers working on OS X but I'm unable to make it work smoothly. I'm getting the error below when using the included Oracle OCI drivers: +java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc11 in java.library.path+ If I install my own copy of the instant client and use a shell script to launch DBVis I can work around the error: export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/local/oracle export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib /Applications/DbVisualizer.app/Contents/java/app/dbvisgui.sh & However, * the dbvisgui shell script has a comment in it that says "don't launch dbvis this way" * this isn't an ideal approach for me to roll out to our wider population of users, ** in particular Mac OS X blocks setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at login/startup in the general environment (via launched etc) Is there anyway to make things work properly without having to use something like a shell script to launch the app? thanks Michael

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Oracle OCI on Mac OS X Mavericks
Michael, Generally we recommend using the Oracle thin driver setup rather than OCI due to the complexity getting OCI to work. Is there any special reason you are going for the OCI setup? The recommended way to launch DbVisualizer on Mac is to open DbVisualizer.app. If you are still wanting to use OCI you should add the following line in the Java VM Properties settings in Tools->Tool Properties and in the General section. -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/oracle/lib Before inserting the above row I really suggest you look into Oracle thin over OCI. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Thanks for the advice, I'll try this. The main reason is to enable end users to be warned about and reset their passwords before they expire. Currently feeling like it isn't worth the effort though...
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Michael, The expired password functionality supported only in OCI is probably the only reason for using it. Lets hope Oracle some day will support it also in thin. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the help.