Start a new topic

Right click in DbVis 9, Mac OS X

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello I'm evaluating DbVis 9, but one feature that seems to be missing is the right click menu on the left panel. For example right clicking on a table would have all sorts of options in DbVis 8, while in DbVis 9 the right click does nothing. Was it disabled on purpose? Is it a bug on OS X? Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.10 [EVALUATION] Build: #2295 (2014-08-08 18:38:31) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_67 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Mac OS X OS Arch: x86_64 OS Version: 10.9.3

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Re: Right click in DbVis 9, Mac OS X
Hi, I assume you mean right-click on a database object in the Databases tab list? This is working fine in 9.x. See attached. Since you are on OS X what key+mouse combinations are you using to display it? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I was wrong, it's not disabled, but it's very flaky. I have to right click multiple times before I see the context menu. Other times it comes up on the first right click. It's quite unpredictable. I'm not using any key combination, I use a usb mouse with a right button.

Hi, This is strange as we haven't experienced this nor any other user. Which trigger do you use to open the menu? Do you see this behavior when CMD+left-click? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I see this problem consistently in DBVis 9. I'm using the physical right button of a mouse. CMD+left click does a multiple selection. That one, along with all other kinds of left-click, has no issue. I tried CTRL+left click, which emulates the right click on OS X (for people without a two-button mouse) but that combination apparently does not work in DBVis: it ignores the CTRL modifier and does a regular left click. That in itself is strange, because in any other program it emulates a right click.

Hi, Sorry I meant Ctrl-click rather than CMD-click. Do you have any external keyboard/mouse software installed to control things like key mapping and/or mouse acceleration? Regards Roger

I have been observing that the Right Click popup menu does not appear on a 2nd display on OSX 10.9.5 and DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.11. I have a Mac Book Pro and used a separate display for secondary display. When the DbVis window is in the 2nd display and I right-click (using 2 button mouse), I may get a flicker of the popup-menu on the 1st/primary display, but it disappears/does not stay. I also am unable to Ctrl-click to bring up the popup-menu on the 2nd display; the behavior acts like I did a single click. I am able to Ctrl-click to bring up the popup-menu on the 1st display. Using a 2button mouse I can right click and get the popup-menu on the 1st/primary display. I have the following: * Mac OS X x86_64 10.9.5 * DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.11 * Java 1.7.0_71 -rppowell

Rob, In which contexts in DbVisualizer are you trying to bring up the right-click menu? There are menus on a lot of components, try by right-click in the Databases tab objects tree, on a top level tab and in a grid to check if there is a difference. In general external monitors is related to a couple of problems. Once it happens the problem is often related to a combination of Java and what monitor is used, drivers, use of connector (HDMI, Thunderbolt, Mini DisplayPort, etc) and so on. The biggest problem is however that the monitor support is managed by Java which we have no control over. I've tested with a new Acer monitor attached by HDMI to a MBP retina and Ctrl+left-click works find to bring up menus. It also works with double tapping (if that is configured) the touchpad. I've also tested attaching a iMac through Thunderbolt which is also works fine. The only issue that we are aware of is that Ctrl+left-click in a SQL editor doesn't respond and no menu is displayed. We have an open ticket to look into this. If you are running other Java/Swing based applications it would be really interesting hearing whether these works differently with respect to menus. As a summary: There are issues with Java and external monitors, the only thing we can do is to hope that future Java versions will be solve these. Regards Roger

Hello Roger; I am doing this on selected cells in a SQL(PostgreSQL) results. I concur that this is most likely a Mac OSX/Java 7 issue. -rppowell

Thank for sharing. Some info is really useful for me. Edited by: John Land on Nov 25, 2014 11:04 AM