Start a new topic

DbVis Mac SQL Server Connection Error, despite success with other tools

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am trying to connect to a SQL Server database via DbVis on a Mac. I am able to connect to the database using the unixODBC, FreeTDS, and pymssql. When I put the same host, username, password, port, and database name into DbVis I get a connection error: Details:    Type: java.sql.SQLException    Error Code: 18456    SQL State: 28000 I read on this forum that jTDS is the preferred Mssql server driver because the Microsoft drivers don't support authentication and they are out of date. I know the 'database is alive' and that my connection credentials are correct. This page suggests that the 2 and 8 in the SQL state mean invalid user and password. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx Anyone have an idea of what the issue might be? Do the username and password need to be formatted a particular way? Thanks. Edited by: chris on Sep 12, 2014 1:10 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DbVis Mac SQL Server Connection Error, despite success with other tools
Hi Chris, If you need to use Windows Authentication with the SQL Server database, have you followed the instructions here? http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Using+SQL+Server+Single-Sign-On+or+Windows+Authentication Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Thanks for the response Hans, but the options I see in the DbVisualizer Free 9.1.10 Connection tab do not match those that are described in the link you provided. Here is an excerpt from the link: *To let a Windows domain server handle the authentication instead, you must use the SQL Server (jTDS) JDBC driver (bundled with DbVisualizer),* ==> I did that. *If you run DbVisualizer on another OS in a network with a Windows domain server, select Windows from the Authentication Method list in the Options area in the Connection tab and enter the Domain name. You must also enter the domain user and and password in the Database User and Database Password fields. The driver then authenticates with the domain server and then uses those credentials to log in to the database server.* ==> The is no Authentication Method list in the options area of the connections tab. ==> I tried Domain\username and password, but that did not work. I attached a screen shot of the options that are available through the connections tab. Is there another way that I can opt for windows authentications? Once again I am using OS X mavericks. Thanks.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hello Hans, I have resolved the issue. You were correct. I need windows authentication. I had to click into the properties tab and play with some of the settings. I entered my own domain on the Property tab > Driver Properties > Domain. Then when I went back to the connection tab, Authentication Method and Domain were new options. Thanks, Chris
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Chris, Great that you found a solution. From your screenshot, it seems like you have resized the window so that the Authentication Method field is hidden. Anyway, setting Authentication Method to Windows and entering a domain name in the Options area accomplishes exactly what you seem to have done manually in the Properties tab. Best Regards, Hans