Start a new topic

No Items under Schema Object Tree

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I have a database connection where I can't see any items in the "Schemas" object tree. There are schemas for this database which I can execute SQL through SQL Commander so it appears to be something is wrong with the connection configuration. I'm looking for a solution to allow me to view the Schema object tree, because without it I can't navigate the schema using the GUI. I attached a screen shot to show the problem. I don't know if this is related, but when I run SQL commands using the SQL commander, if I try to edit a cell in the result set I get a "Cell Form" popup that indicates that the data is read only. Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: No Items under Schema Object Tree
Brian, What is the Database Type setting set to in the Connection details? Note that it must match the target DB2 flavor that is accessed. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, It's set to DB2 LUW. This does match the existing DB2 database since it's on a Windows 7 machine. One thing to note is that this is a local database to the machine where DBVisualizer resides. I have other DB2 Connections that are working correctly, but these are all remote Unix machines that I am connecting to. The only one that isn't working as expected is the connection to the Windows 7 machine. Thanks for the quick response.

Hi Brian, Please open Tools->Debug Window and enable debugging for DbVisualizer. Then connect to the database and post the debug output here or send it to support@dbvis.com. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Hans, That's great feed back. I put on trace and found there was a SQL error when it was connecting. 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 L.?] Using profile: db2 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 B.execute] Execute Command: getSchemaNames 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 N.?] DbConnection: WCS - LOCAL70 14:37:13 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 E.?] RootConnection: f.getSchemas() 14:37:13 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 E.?] RootConnection: EXCEPTION -> com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.SqlException: DB2 SQL Error: SQLCODE=-443, SQLSTATE=38553, SQLERRMC=SYSIBM.SQLTABLES;TABLES;SYSIBM:CLI:-805, DRIVER=4.3.111 com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.SqlException: DB2 SQL Error: SQLCODE=-443, SQLSTATE=38553, SQLERRMC=SYSIBM.SQLTABLES;TABLES;SYSIBM:CLI:-805, DRIVER=4.3.111 at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.dd.a(dd.java:679) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.dd.a(dd.java:60) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.dd.a(dd.java:127) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jm.b(jm.java:2151) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jm.c(jm.java:2134) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.db.k(db.java:353) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.db.e(db.java:95) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.t.e(t.java:81) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.t4.sb.j(sb.java:166) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jm.gb(jm.java:2104) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.km.e(km.java:3339) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.lm.Tb(lm.java:141) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jc.a(jc.java:7748) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jc.Zd(jc.java:6359) at com.ibm.db2.jcc.a.jc.getSchemas(jc.java:6287) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor64.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.E.?(Z:3526) at com.onseven.dbvis.g.B.F$A.call(Z:1474) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select current schema from sysibm.sysdummy1" 14:37:13 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 C.?] RootConnection: b.createStatement() 14:37:13 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 B.?] RootConnection: jm.executeQuery("select current schema from sysibm.sysdummy1") 14:37:13 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 P.getChildCount] getChildCount() for: WCS - LOCAL70 in background 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 K.?] elementName: 'GroupNode' label: 'Schemas' type: 'Schemas' on-empty-output: 'stop' 14:37:13 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-3-thread-12 K.?] elementName: 'GroupNode' label: 'DBA Views' type: 'DBA' on-empty-output: 'stop' 14:37:18 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 E.?] RootConnection: f.getDatabaseMajorVersion() 14:37:18 [DEBUG pool-4-thread-17 E.?] RootConnection: f.getDatabaseMinorVersion() http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/FAQ/SQL+Error%3A+SQLCODE%3D-443%2C+SQLSTATE%3D38553%2C+SQLERRMC%3DSYSIBM.SQLTABLES I sent the information to support to see if I could get a resolution because the IBM link in the above article isn't valid. Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian, I have already answered your support ticket, but for other readers, the link to the IBM site in the FAQ entry has been updated to point to a current page. Best Regards, Hans

Thanks Hans, I excecuted the following on my machine and it worked like a charm! 1) Navigate to the bnd folder of the database server instance: UNIX: $INSTHOME/sqllib/bnd. Windows: DB2DIR\sqllib\bnd (The default DB2DIR on Windows is C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB) 2) db2 connect to user using 3) db2 bind db2schema.bnd blocking all grant public You guys rock.

Hi Brian, Great, thanks for confirming. Best Regards, Hans