Start a new topic

@export multiple export slowness

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am exporting data from created temp tables with various row amounts to Excel using @export. Regardless of the number of rows the time to export seems rather slow. I have checked the associated queries and they run near instantaneously. So why does the Excel export execute slow? Could the reason be because of multiple file exports? Is there an additional qualifier needed? Or do I perhaps need to turn off the export after each export and then turn export back on? My set up is something like: @export on; @export set filename = "mypath\fileA.xlsx" format = "XLS" ExcelFileFormat = "ooxml"; select * from tmpA; @export set filename = "mypath\fileB.xlsx" format = "XLS" ExcelFileFormat = "ooxml"; select * from tmpB; @export set filename = "mypath\fileC.xlsx" format = "XLS" ExcelFileFormat = "ooxml"; select * from tmpC; @export off;

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: @export multiple export slowness
Jack, How many column/rows are in the respective result sets and what data types? Regards
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Columns can be anywhere from 5 to 8. Rows will be in the multiple thousands, 4K and up. Data types dates, strings, numbers. Here is my point, if I export a data set with 5 columns and 80K rows using the wizard the transfer is near instantaneous. When I run using @export the same data set can take up to 2 minutes. Maybe it is a network issue connecting to a shared drive. Perhaps I should try an export to a local drive to see if that speeds things up. But that defeats the purpose of automation to the shared drive.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Jack, It would be great if you can test with a local drive just to verify if that is the problem. Also, you say Export Wizard. Do you mean the Export Grid feature or any of Export Table or Export Schema? The difference is that Export Grid exports the content of the current grid while the other two use @export internally to export any sized result set. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger - Yes Export Grid feature and Export Wizard are synonymous in my meaning. Looks like going across the network to the shared drive is the issue. I ran the export to my C drive and the execution was quick.