Start a new topic

Odd issue with export to Excel

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I came across an odd issue when exporting multiple result sets to an Excel spreadsheet using the "@export" client-side commands. I had set values for both the "ExcelTitle" and "ExcelIntroText" parameters and was using the default XLS binary format. There were two result sets exported and the resulting spreadsheet had tabs labelled "Sheet" and "Sheet1". I was sending the spreadsheet to a client so I opened it in LibreOffice to pretty it up a bit. I boldfaced the title and intro text values on the first page of the spreadsheet, and also inserted another bit of text between these values and the data I had extracted. Imagine my surprise when I switched to the second page to make the same changes and found that the changes had already been made!! I thought that this might be a bug in LibreOffice so I tried editing the file using a copy of Excel 2013 on one of my client's machines, but the exact same thing happened! Obviously this is an issue with the way that DbVisualizer was creating the XLS file. I noticed that DbVisualizer uses a non-standard naming convention for the tab labels. Both LibreOffice and Excel label the first tab "Sheet1" and the second "Sheet2", but DbVis uses "Sheet" and "Sheet1". I tried re-generating a new spreadsheet file using my script and then, before making any visual changes, I changed the labels on the tabs. At this point I could make changes to the first sheet and the second was not affected. I'm not sure if it will fix the underlying problem, but I would suggest that the naming convention for multi-tabbed spreadsheets generated using "@export" be changed to use the "Sheet1", "Sheet2" convention used by LibreOffice and Excel. I'd also like to renew my previous request for a method to change the tab labels programmatically with the "@export" command. Thanks guys. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Odd issue with export to Excel
> {quote:title=Roger Bjarevall wrote:}{quote} > DbVisualizer 9.2 has just been released which fixes this issue. I've confirmed that the problem no longer occurs. Thanks Roger!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Odd issue with export to Excel
Steve, DbVisualizer 9.2 has just been released which fixes this issue. http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.2&showtoc=false Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Odd issue with export to Excel
Ah, of course. It's not a bug, it's a feature. :-) Glad to hear this will be fixed. Thanks Ulf!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Odd issue with export to Excel
Hi Steve, You have stumbled on a feature of excel unknown for us until now. DBVisualizer does export the sheets in the excel document as selected sheets. Consequently when opening the document for editing both sheets are selected. Changing a cell in one sheet apparently changes the cell for all selected sheets. A handy function of excel not known to us before :-) Of course DBVisualizer should not export the sheets as selected. This will be fixed in the next release. Regarding the automatic naming of the sheets as Sheet, Sheet1, Sheet2 ... you are absolutely correct. We will in the next release make sure the sheets are named Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3.. Best Regards, Ulf Edited by: Ulf Weiland on 2015-jan-05 17:58