Start a new topic

Wrong autocomplete popup location

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Since updating to 9.2 the autocomplete popup appears on the far right of the screen instead of next to the cursor. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/kAgdQb4.png?1 Regards, Ivan Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2 [Build #2348] OS: Linux OS Version: 3.19.0-031900rc4-generic OS Arch: amd64 Java Version: 1.7.0_65 Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation Java Home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre DbVis Home: /opt/dbvisualizer User Home: /home/ihabunek PrefsDir: /home/ihabunek/.dbvis

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Wrong autocomplete popup location
Hi Ivan, You said in another post you've switched to Linux. Did you successfully used 9.1.x with Linux and only with 9.2 it fail? Are you using multiple monitors? Is it a vanilla Ubuntu installation or are there some tweaks in the window manager, non standard themes and so on? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

This bug is new in 9.2. It did not happen in 9.1.x on the same Linux machine. Yes, I'm using two monitors. Vanilla Ubuntu/Unity, no significant tweaks are used. I also noticed when loading DbVis that the splash screen is displayed on the far left of my primary monitor, instead of center. This is not new, it happened in 9.1.x as well. Maybe it's related. Regards, Ivan

Ivan, Was there a change of Java version between 9.1.x and 9.2? Do you run DbVisualizer on the primary or the secondary monitor? Does it make a difference moving it between them? Does it work better unplugging one of the monitors? Problems like these are most of the times (and unfortunately) out of our control as the actual OS, window mgr and Java plays the major roles. It is strange you see the problem only with 9.2 if the Java versions are the same. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

> Was there a change of Java version between 9.1.x and 9.2? No, same version of Java. > Do you run DbVisualizer on the primary or the secondary monitor? Does it make a difference moving it between them? Does it work better unplugging one of the monitors? I have a laptop on a docking station and an external monitor. The external monitor is set as primary. The problem occurs on the external monitor, but not on the laptop monitor. If I make the laptop monitor primary, nothing changes. External still has the bug, laptop is ok. If I turn off the laptop monitor, leaving only the external monitor, the bug does not occur. When I turn the laptop screen back on, the bug is back. > Problems like these are most of the times (and unfortunately) out of our control as the actual OS, window mgr and Java plays the major roles. Tell me about it, it's my biggest beef with Ubuntu/Unity. Ivan

Ivan, Thanks for the details! As said already, this kind of problems are not at all funny for either party. What you can try is to run DbVisualizer with Java 8 just to verify if it works better. You find instructions here: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/FAQ/Java+8+and+DbVisualizer Please let me know the progress on this. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, I tried Java 8, and it does the exact same thing as Java 7. Actually, the situation has changed a little bit, not sure why. Now I get this: Primary monitor: http://imgur.com/sfXnTnP Secondary monitor: http://imgur.com/BzMuBOo Both popups are misplaced, but in different places. For testing I used Java 8 from Oracle, usually I use OpenJDK from the Ubuntu repository. Here's both versions' info. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2 [Build #2348] OS: Linux OS Version: 3.19.0-031900rc4-generic OS Arch: amd64 Java Version: 1.8.0_25 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation Java Home: /home/ihabunek/Downloads/java/jre1.8.0_25 DbVis Home: /opt/dbvisualizer User Home: /home/ihabunek PrefsDir: /home/ihabunek/.dbvis Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2 [Build #2348] OS: Linux OS Version: 3.19.0-031900rc4-generic OS Arch: amd64 Java Version: 1.7.0_65 Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation Java Home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre DbVis Home: /opt/dbvisualizer User Home: /home/ihabunek PrefsDir: /home/ihabunek/.dbvis

Hi Ivan, I am afraid there is little we can do to fix this. One thing you can try is to switch to another look and feel in Tool Properties and the General / Appearance category. The best bet now is that future Java versions will come with improved multi monitor support. Regards Roger