Start a new topic

Single Quote in Comments - Error

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I don't know when this started. It seems DBVis (v9.19) has an issue (for me) with single quotes in comments. It throws this error: "ORA-00911: invalid character". These are not "smart quotes". I realize this is coming from Oracle, but it must be the way the query is sent to the database. It didn't always used to happen. I went through the "Tool" properties and couldn't find the reason. I don't recall making any strange changes. In any case, there are three statements below, each preceded by a type of comment : multiple lines in a multi-line comment, single line in a single-line comment, and single line in a multi-line comment (syntax). All of thee "invalid character" issues resolve if I remove the single quote in the comment preceding the sql statement: /* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Whats the problem with using single-quotes in a multi-line comment? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */ SELECT CURRENT_DATE CURRDATE , SYSDATE SYS_DATE , USER EMPLOYEE , LAST_DAY(CURRENT_DATE) EOMONTH FROM DUAL; -- Here's another one-line with single quote SELECT OWNER , COUNT(TABLE_NAME) CNT FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE OWNER != 'SYS' GROUP BY OWNER ORDER BY OWNER; /* Something's wrong here wth this one-line multi-line comment */ SELECT 'A' alpha , 'B' beta , 'E' epsilon FROM DUAL; Thanks, Ray

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Single Quote in Comments - Error
Your forum software changed my single-line comment from two dashes to what looks like a bullet. Just imagine it's two dashes like I typed in. Ray
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ray, To fix this make sure Strip Comments when Executing is checked in the SQL Commander menu. An alternative is to upgrade to 9.2.5 which contains a fix which makes it work independent if Strip Comments is checked or unchecked. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger you always come to the rescue. That fixed it. Thanks! Ray