Start a new topic

Changing Save Tabs Default

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, We have multiple people working in queries that are usually not updated very frequently. Due to this, many people leave the queries open in their command tabs. However, we've seen instances where their computer restarts and save tabs is selected and their queries overwrite the current query (which has sometimes had an important update, or they have updated their query personally in a way that is not useful for the team). Is there a way to either a) change the default to ignore save tabs or b) default saves to another drive rather than the drive the query originated from? Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Changing Save Tabs Default
Hi, If you have multiple users loading the same file but you don't want them to ever update the file, can't you just make sure they don't have write access to the file? Maybe I'm missing something? Kind Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Changing Save Tabs Default
Hi again, I notice that I didn't address some of your concerns in my previous reply. It sounds like you believe that the *Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions* feature and/or the *Auto Save* feature is causing the originally opened (shared) file to be overwritten with the edited content of an individual user's editor. That should not be the case. Auto Save never overwrites the original file. If the editor content has not been changed, Auto Save just saves the file path in an internal DbVisualizer file. If the editor content has been changed, it instead saves the current content to the internal DbVisualizer file. If *Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions* is enabled, DbVisualizer looks at the internal file when DbVisualizer is restarted and loads either the original file (if it contains a file path) or the previous content (if it contains the edited content). The only time the original file is overwritten is when the user clicks the Save button, or asks for the file to be saved when exiting DbVisualizer. I hope that clarifies how these two features work. Since it is possible to click Save or ask for files to be saved at exit by mistake, the safest way to deal with shared files is to use the OS file permissions to make sure that only those that should be able to update the files can do so. Best Regards, Hans