Start a new topic

Editor templates issue

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello DBVis-Team, I'm having a usability issue with the newly introduced editor templates. I created a template with abbreviation .ts with expanded text If I type .ts[Tab] in SQL Commander this will get substituted correctly, but only if there is a space right in front of the expression. But if I type sometext.ts[Tab] that will not work. Can you fix this in a upcoming version? Thanks, Raik Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2.6 [Build #2447] OS: Windows 7 OS Version: 6.1 OS Arch: x86 Java Version: 1.8.0_45 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation Edited by: Raik on 19.05.2015 13:19

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Editor templates issue
Hi Raik, Thanks for the suggestion. The current behavior is actually the way it was designed to work, but I agree with you that there are situations where you want a template to be expanded even if there is not a space before it. We will therefore change the behavior as you suggested in the next maintenance release. Best Regards, Hans

Raik, DbVisualizer 9.2.8 has just been released fixing the issue you reported. Easiest to upgrade is that you open Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer. Or download from our web site: http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Thanks Roger, I just stumble over that again. It works fine with the period. However I am still having issues. Sometimes the wrong templates are expanded or it shows a dialog box with two completely different choices although the abbrevation is exactly as specified. I also removed the "hist" keyword that did not work, restarted DBVis, added the keyword again. Now it automatically expands the next abbreation in the list?! Please see the images attached. I also made a small video, that shows it better here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4516860/editor_templates.mp4 Thanks, Raik Edited by: Hans Bergsten on Oct 21, 2015 6:20 PM

Hi Raik, Thanks for reporting this and with great examples. I can reproduce it and will have a look at it. Best Regards, Hans

One more thing, it seems like this happens only when the Abbreviation does not start with a dot ("."). This should of course not be a requirement, but for now you may want to use a dot as the first character as a work-around. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Raik, We have looked at this a bit closer now, and we don't see a way to support your initial suggestion to handle template expansion even when there is no space before the abbreviation unless the abbreviation starts with a special character, such as dot, hashmark etc. I therefore suggest that you change your abbreviations to do so. We use dot for the predefined templates, but you can pick some other character if you don't like to use then dot. Please let us know if this works for you and we will add this requirement to the Users Guide. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, I understand that this is a bit tricky. I will have to get used to the leading special characters then. But maybe you should modify the editor template configuration part that it does not allow abbreviations without a leading special characters, otherwise it causes this "strange" effect. Thanks, Raik

Hi Raik, Thanks for understanding. I have added the requirement of starting the abbreviation with a special character to the Users Guide. We will leave it at that for now since this seems to be a very rare problem. Best Regards, Hans