Start a new topic

SQL Editor Tab Key

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The tab key is not working for me in the sql editor view. It doesn't add a tab or spaces. Shift-Tab works fine though. I've tried re-installing DbVisualizer via the Linux setup installer and the DEB archive with the same result. I've also tried resetting other keyboard shortcuts that were mapped to Tab, changing tab behavior in tool properties, and resetting user preferences. The odd thing is that the problem only happens when running DbVisualizer as my normal user. If I run DbVisualizer as root, the tab key works fine. I'm currently running the program as root as a workaround, but would prefer to be able to run it as a normal user. I'm running DbVisualizer 9.2.7 in Ubuntu 15.04. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2.7 [Build #2457] OS: Linux OS Version: 3.19.0-18-generic OS Arch: amd64 Java Version: 1.7.0_80 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL Editor Tab Key
Hi, Since it works differently if you run as root than with your normal account and you have tried resetting the DbVisualizer user preferences, could it be some user setting in the OS itself that is causing the TAB key to not send the correct key code to DbVisualizer? Which Keymap do you use in DbVisualizer? Does TAB work in other Java based applications with your normal account? What are your settings for Tab Size and Expand Tab to Whitespace in Tool Properties under General/SQL Commander? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the response. I use several other java based applications (intellij idea, apache jmeter) that don't have any problems with the tab key under my normal account. Also the tab key works fine in other places within DbVisualizer like the tool properties and table properties windows. It's just in the sql editor where it won't work. I use a custom keymap in DbVisualizer, but it's mostly default settings. I've tried using all of the other default provided key mappings without any success. My tab size is just the default 4 with the expand tab to whitespace option not selected. I tried playing around with these settings too, but it didn't change anything either.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Odd. Do I understand the issue correctly as if you click TAB in an empty SQL Commander with the caret at the first line, first column, no TAB character is inserted? Or is it in some other scenario it does work? Best Regards, Hans