Start a new topic

Great software but...

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've been playing around with your software for a few hours - comparing it to Navicat. My impression? I think Dbvis has a better interface. It's better to work with. It has better features. I basically wins in all areas BUT.... I can't find a database backup scheduler. As a matter of fact, I can't find any decent database backup feature at all. Obviously I would hope for something which compresses the data. Navicat has it but for some reason Dbvis doesn't. I absolutely want to buy your software but this is a potential deal breaker. Can you please confirm what the current situation is with regards to database backups? If you can even point me towards an alternative piece of software which I could use solely for backups then that would be a help. Many thanks, -David

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Great software but...
David, Thanks for your interest in DbVisualizer! You are right there is no dedicated backup functionality in DbVisualizer. The main reason is that almost all databases comes with backup utilities that are optimized for the actual database and does it really fast too. DbVisualizer includes export functionality for supported databases. It should not be compared with a real backup but may serve the purpose depending on your requirements. Read more in: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG92/Exporting+a+Schema I really recommend you look into the database provided backup utilities. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thank you. I have one more question which is unrelated. I don't want to clog up the forum, so I'll post it here. It's about the query builder. Right now, the query builder generates (SQL) queries which include the database name. For example: SELECT * from coolshop.store_items (where coolshop is the name of the database). Is there a way to gracefully get it to generate the queries but without the database name appearing everywhere? I'm working on an app which uses multiple databases and I'm hoping to use the query builder to generate my queries (then I'll be porting those queries into PHP). It would be a real drag if I have to delete the database name from all of those queries, every time I create them. Thanks again!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi David, There are several options to control what is generated by the QB. Check the connection Properties tab for your connection and the Query Builder category what qualifier options are available. I have attached a screenshot. You may also check the Delimited Identifiers and Query Builder categories for more options related to the query builder. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks. That worked.