Start a new topic

unable to start - uninstall

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Awhile back I installed DBvis as we use it at work. I think I did an upgrade a few months back. Just now I clicked to open it and nothing happened. I thought perhaps I installed the pro version and it was past it's date, so, I tried to install the newest version over the old one and when I went to run it again, nothing happened. So, I tried to un-install both, but I couldn't do that either via the bat file or by Windows uninstall. Now I have versions 9.1.11 & 9.1.11 in my Windows 7 programs list and I can't get rid of either of them. What do I do?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: unable to start - uninstall
Hi, Do you get any error messages when trying to open or uninstall it? Can you uninstall the two version by running the uninstall.exe file in the installation folder? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Nothing appears to happen except maybe a blink. Same with trying to uninstall. I don't see any log files either.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Oh and to be clear, I have tried the uninstall.exe program...same results. I found an old version in my teams share drive and was able to partially install that and have it run, it also uninstalled itself, so i tried to use it to override one of the bad versions. didn't work.

Oh and to be clear, I have tried the uninstall.exe program...same results. I found an old version in my teams share drive and was able to partially install that and have it run, it also uninstalled itself, so i tried to use it to override one of the bad versions. didn't work.

Hi, Do you have Java 7 or later installed on your PC? If not, please download and install Java 8 from http://java.com/. If that doesn't fix the problem, please download the latest DbVisualizer version distribution that includes a Java VM from http://www.dbvis.com/download/ and install it in a new folder. Best Regards, Hans

I have the most recent version of java installed on my machine. I just upgraded to 8.60, although I do have it in a special place because I occasionally have more than one version of java due to an old product needing old java. I was able to get 9.0 to work when installed in it's own directory, but I still can't get rid of the other installations.

Hi, I suggest that you just remove the installation folders for the other versions from the disk if the uninstaller doesn't work. Best Regards, Hans
[Attachment has been removed.]

Removing the dbvisualizer folders won't remove the versions of dbvisualizer that windows says is installed and which I need to get rid of. How do I do that?

Hi, This more of a Windows admin question, and I'm not all that familiar with Windows, but I suggest that you install the latest version of DbVisualizer in the C:\Program Files\DbVisualizer folder and then use the Windows units feature to remove it again. Do this until all versions are gone. The idea is that by installing the latest version, you get a new uninstaller that works since it seems like the old one is corrupted. Best Regards, Hans

I tried an install using windows without jre as I already have java 8. It appeared to install correctly and override at least one of the versions that I had. When told it to run DbVis, ...nothing happened, just like the ininstall. Tried to run manually, same thing. Then I went and downloaded the version with a jre and after I did the install, that worked and I now have it running. Windows says that there is still an old version kicking around, but since I'm now down to 2, I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.