Start a new topic

Error while opening SQL Server table data tab

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi DBVis-Team, I encountered a serious error while opening a SQL Server Integrated Services (SSIS) table called internal.executable_statistics. When opening the Data tab, DBVis will popup the Debug Window and the data tab tells me, that the connection was closed although it is still open. The main reasons seems to be this: 2015-10-20 13:44:08.466 SEVERE 202 [pool-3-thread-2 - TDSParser.throwUnexpectedTokenException] ConnectionID:1 ClientConnectionId: b90a68e4-4d26-438c-971e-57f8552bebc5: getNextResult: Encountered unexpected unknown token (0x49) 2015-10-20 13:44:08.480 SEVERE 202 [pool-3-thread-2 - TDSReader.throwInvalidTDSToken] ConnectionID:1 ClientConnectionId: b90a68e4-4d26-438c-971e-57f8552bebc5 got unexpected value in TDS response at offset:656 I attached the full error log. How can this issue be resolved? Thanks, Raik

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Error while opening SQL Server table data tab
Hi Raik, The error originates in the JDBC driver and it appears as if it is unable to read som of the data in the table. Please try using the bundled SQL Server (jTDS) driver instead to see if that solves the problem. If not, please open Tools->Debug Window and enable debugging for DbVisualizer. Then perform this operation again and include the debug output in your reply. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello Hans, thanks for the info. The reason I do not use the jTDS driver is, that it does not seem to support the Intergrated Security feature. Our database is configured to accept domain logins only. When I connect using the jTDS driver and not give it any credentials, it says: *I/O Error: SSO Failed: Native SSPI library not loaded. Check the java.library.path system property.* I added a reference to the DLL files in dbvis.vmoptions and that works fine for JDBC, jTDS however does not work. Any thoughts on how I can connect using jTDS? BTW: the problem seems to be with the sql_variant data type. When I query the table using SQL commander, it says *The datatype "variant" is not supported"

Hi Ralk, I was not familiar with sql_variant data type, but reading about it now, I believe it can cause some issues in the DbVisualizer Data tab since the actual data type for a column may differ from one row to another. That said, it seems like you may be able to read a column like this in the SQL Commander with a SELECT statement and casting the column to VARCHAR. I also found an indication that the jTDS driver may do this automatically, at least for columns that actually hold values of a character type. The jTDS driver DLL file is bundled with DbVisualizer since a number of versions back, and the log shows that you use 9.2.10 so should be available in the DbVisualizer installation folder, under jdbc\jtds\x86\SSO with the name ntlmauth.dll. Please let us know if this helped solve the problem. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, I got it to work. I had to copy to ntlmauth.dll to the same directory where the sqljdbc_auth.dll of the JDBC driver is in because I could not add multiple -Djava.library.path entries in my user.vmoptions file. But anyway, that works and the jTDS driver is indeed able to read the data from the sql_variant column. Thanks, Raik

Hi Raik, Great! I'm glad you figured out how to get the jTDS driver to work and that it solved the problem. Best Regards, Hans