Start a new topic

Feature Request: Quick Filterlookup on database object tree

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I use the object filter to hide seldomly used objects from the tree and the database search option when needed, but it sure would be helpful to have a quick filter search option on the object tree; similar to the option you recetly added to the scripts tab. Thanks,

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Feature Request: Quick Filterlookup on database object tree
Hi, I will register a ticket for a quick filter in the databses tab. For now you will need to use the type-to-find feature. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I understand. Thank you for your consideration.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I second this. It would be an immensely useful feature but I understand why there are technical difficulties to its implementation. As I discussed previously though (http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=14697㥩), a quick way to give us similar functionality would be to add an "Open object(s) in new tab(s)" option to the right-click menu of the Tables, Views, etc object collections. When Tables is double-clicked, it currently opens a nice grid view with quick filter but once we select the objects we're interested in and right-click, all we can do is script SELECT or DROP queries for them. If we could have the right-click option to open the selected objects in new tabs it would be far more useful.

Hi Vince, We have an open ticket for this. It will not make it into 9.0 though. Regards Roger

Thanks - great to know it will be looked at in due course. Regarding the suggestion that mariong use the type-to-find feature... would it be possible to make that work without the need to type the schema name? Almost all of our tables are in the same schema so if we had an option to just turn off the display of the schema then type-to-search directly by object name that would be good. It would need to be a connection-specific option as we also access some 3rd party databases that use schemas heavily.

Vince, The type-to-search feature is generic and match the exact name being listed in the objects list. Some databases list objects qualified with the schema/database name while other don't. You may use the asterisk wildcard in the search field. To find objects in all schemas simply enter *. I will register a ticket about hiding schemas. Regards Roger
[Attachment has been removed.]

Vince, I just realized that you can set a custom label already... The attached screenshot show how this is done. The default pattern for tables in SQL Server is: ${getTables.TABLE_SCHEM}.${getTables.TABLE_NAME} However, I do realize your immediate follow-up will be in the area of sorting which doesn't follow properly if changing the label pattern to not include schema. I'll register a ticket. Regards Roger

Thanks Roger, EDIT: Removed complaint about it not working for views - I was being a numpty and typing "Views" instead of "View". However, one of my points stands - this dialog isn't intuitive as you don't know what values it can accept when you first open it - I'd never have plucked ${getTables.TABLE_NAME} out of the air if you hadn't suggested it. An easy solution would be to include all the different object types' default values there already and add a Reset button so set the selected ones back to the default. That way, upon entering the dialog it becomes obvious what the valid options are. Regards, Vince Edited by: Vince Swann on 19-Nov-2012 16:08

Vince, I agree that it is somewhat difficult to understand this feature. While we could add the default labels for each database type, it would be harder showing all available labels as these are specific for each database type (aka database profile). So the feature itself is something we point at with legal values when an inquiry is raised. If you have some time over, you can check the DBVIS-HOME\resources\profiles\sqlserver.xml file. Locate the following: It is the start of the definition what is presented in the objects tree. For a you will find the label="xxx" attribute that lists the default label for tables. This is the one that is overridden with the Object Label settings in connection setup. To find out what values are available check the generic-tree.xml and the definition of Output fields. Well, treat this as a short guide how it works... I will add a ticket that we should look into this and check what can be done to optimize it. Regards Roger
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi Roger, Was this feature removed in 9.2? I no longer see Objects Tree Labels as an option in my connection properties and the +dbvis.ObjectTreeLabels+ properties in my existing +dbvis.xml+ file seem to be ignored. Now all my objects appear prefixed with schema names in the objects tree again which is annoying if you try to find them by typing the name whilst the objects tree is focused. My old label syntax which seems to be getting ignored was: +<Property key="dbvis.ObjectTreeLabels">Index="${sqlserver.getIndexes.TABLE_NAME}..${objectname} (${schema})" Table="${objectname} (${schema})" Procedure="${objectname} (${schema})" Function="${objectname} (${schema})" View="${objectname} (${schema})"</Property>+ Essentially I had the object name first followed by the schema in brackets. This way I could type +foo+ and the +foo(dbo)+ table was selected. Now I have to type +dbo.foo+ to select it. Unfortunately this has also broken all of my favourites as the +DynamicNode+ elements in +favorites.xml+ used the label syntax defined in the object tree labels. Now the labels have defaulted to default but my +favorites.xml+ still contains the +${objectname} (${schema})+ syntax so none of them open when clicked (they don't report any kind of "object not found" error either). I figured I'd ask if there's any way to alter the object tree label syntax back to my preferred one in 9.2 before I crack open a text editor and fix +favorites.xml+ so I can at least open my favourites.

Hi Vince, Object Labels has moved to the new Object Filtering feature. Check the following chapter: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG92/Filtering+Database+Objects#FilteringDatabaseObjects-object_type_visibilityObjectTypeVisibility At the top right click the "Labels" button. To modify or edit a label, just edit the Label column. To revert a label to its default, just clear it. Your old labels should have been automatically migrated to the new definitions. Does the list of labels don't show any of your custom labels? Regards Roger

Hi Roger, Thanks - I've found the new location now but sadly my label syntax wasn't converted automatically - no big problem though as they're easy to redefine. Unfortunately I'd disabled object filtering in order to view some objects I don't normally need to, not thinking this would also disable my custom object labels. I've just now re-enabled the object filtering and recreated my labels and can confirm my labels now render as expected. The new filtering looks much better BTW - I'll be able to make great use of the multiple filter profiles. I did discover a few hiccups though: 1. If you untick a custom label syntax for tables I'd expect it to revert to the default (${getTables.TABLE_SCHEM}.${getTables.TABLE_NAME} in this case). Instead it seems to prevent those objects from appearing in the object tree at all, effectively acting as a filter. 2. When I enable/disable my custom labels my favourites will only open if the label syntax in favorites.xml matches the one currently in use in the object filtering. This didn't matter in the past as the labels were always enabled regardless of whether I was filtering objects. Now disabling object filtering to see extra objects normally hidden disables the custom labels too and breaks the link to favourites. Could favorites.xml not just use the default label syntax regardless of any custom label syntax defined by the user? I'll work around this by defining a "show all" filter that still has my custom label syntax but this behaviour doesn't seem logical.

Hi Vince, > {quote:title=Vince Swann wrote:}{quote} > Thanks - I've found the new location now but sadly my label syntax wasn't converted automatically - no big problem though as they're easy to redefine. Those should migrate automatically. I will have a look. > Unfortunately I'd disabled object filtering in order to view some objects I don't normally need to, not thinking this would also disable my custom object labels. > > I've just now re-enabled the object filtering and recreated my labels and can confirm my labels now render as expected. > > The new filtering looks much better BTW - I'll be able to make great use of the multiple filter profiles. > > I did discover a few hiccups though: > > 1. If you untick a custom label syntax for tables I'd expect it to revert to the default (${getTables.TABLE_SCHEM}.${getTables.TABLE_NAME} in this case). Instead it seems to prevent those objects from appearing in the object tree at all, effectively acting as a filter. The checkbox in front of an object type specifies whether any objects of that type should be displayed in the databases tab.It doesn't affect any labels. > 2. When I enable/disable my custom labels my favourites will only open if the label syntax in favorites.xml matches the one currently in use in the object filtering. This didn't matter in the past as the labels were always enabled regardless of whether I was filtering objects. Now disabling object filtering to see extra objects normally hidden disables the custom labels too and breaks the link to favourites. Could favorites.xml not just use the default label syntax regardless of any custom label syntax defined by the user? I'll work around this by defining a "show all" filter that still has my custom label syntax but this behaviour doesn't seem logical. We will look into this. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, Can I ask where these new filter/label settings are stored please? I use git to keep a backup of changes to %USERPROFILE%\.dbvis but I can't see any recent changes in there that look like my new filter/label settings. One more suggestion - you already have buttons to Create, Delete, Rename and Merge filter/label sets but there doesn't seem to be a Duplicate/Copy button. After setting up my labels carefully I would like to create several new filters with those labels without having to redo the label syntax for each one. Of course if I know where the config file is located I can just duplicate them in a text editor.
Login or Signup to post a comment