Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 5.1.1.6 is now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, DbVisualizer 5.1.1.6 is now available in the early access section: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.6 is now available
An error occured while performing the operation:
Virtual Memory Problem! The application is running low on virtual memory.

I understand that this happens, I have configured to return 5000 rows and in this particular query I grabbed a clob column that can be anything between 0B and a few GB. It would be nice if dbvis would check it's available memory and stop fetching when it is going to run out of memory.

regards,
R.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

How do I set the default schema?

If I log in as MYUSER but my application's default schema is MYSCHEMA I want to be able to restrict my view to my application's default schema.

Currently, where I log in as MYUSER, checking the "only show default schema" restricts my explorer tree to showing the MYUSER schema. Other schemas are available in the SQL Editor dropdown.

This never used to be a problem and I can't work out how I achieved this but now it's really frustrating having to keep reseting my schema, even moreso given the number of schemas we have.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ronald, It does stop and it clears the result to make sure you can re-phrase the query or adjust the max rows/cols to continue running. Previously DbVisualizer just hang and you needed to hard kill it. Or did I miss something? Regards Roger

Hi Roger,

it stops, so far ok. It also clears the grid which is a pity. Why not just show what it has fetched ?

kind regards,
R.

Ronald, The result of not clearing the data when an out of memory error occur is that you most probably will see another OOME short after which may happen just by clicking in the grid. Instead of presenting partial data it is better to alarm that there is major problem and then the user need to take the next step either by re-phrasing the query or increasing the available memory. Regards Roger

Just a couple of things - First and foremost, the SQL:
select 1 select 2 select 3
does not work correctly. On 5.1.1 it correctly shows 3 result tabs with 1, 2, 3 in them respectively. In 5.1.1.6 it still shows 3 tabs but each tab contains 1.

The same applies to stored procedures or other queries that return multiple result sets. I'm using SQL Server 2000 with jTDS in case it's a driver-specific problem.

Secondly, is there a way to switch back to the old behaviour of the quick filter and where filter? I use these extensively and need instant access to them just as 5.1.1 and prior versions have. The dropdown method adds several extra mouse button clicks every time I want to change the filter.

Though many people may appreciate the extra functionality a separate filter window could offer (you could later expand it to configure grouping, summaries, etc) there are many who will prefer an instantly accessible filter like that which was in the old versions. Scouring through the preferences, I have not yet found any way to revert to the old behaviour.

Hi, The first issue with "select 1 select 2 select 3" only showing "1" in each result set tab is a regression bug and will be fixed. The second request to revert back to the old "Where Filter" appearance is something that we're looking into. Not only by moving back to the old style but rather trying to find out an compromise. Please check the following thread for more discussions on this subject. http://www.minq.se/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=6486 Thanks for your tests! Regards Roger

Mark, If you are using Oracle the default schema is always the same as your login user. You say this was never a problem earlier. It would be good if I can get more details about this. Also let me know if you are actually using another database then Oracle. Regards Roger

Roger,

I'm only using DB2 8.2, not Oracle.

I have a feeling that by default the dropdown list in the SQL Editor setup was set to use the same filters as on the explorer tree. So I was able to filter down to the schema that I wanted and that would be the only one listed which helps with auto-complete (I'll have a complain about auto-complete only working for the currently selected schema later...).

I don't think the filtering works now.

Ideally, what we should have is a "default schema" setting against the connection itself. If we can set that the connection will remember where we want to be and set the dropdowns accordingly.

Mind you, this is only an issue because auto-complete only works against the currently selected schema.

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm looking into this issue now. Can you please clarify a couple of things? > I have a feeling that by default > the dropdown list in the SQL Editor setup was set to > use the same filters as on the explorer tree. So I > was able to filter down to the schema that I wanted > and that would be the only one listed which helps > with auto-complete. (I'll have a complain about > auto-complete only working for the currently selected > schema later...). I don't think the > filtering works now. You're right. The Schema and Catalog comboboxes used to have the same filtering applied as the Object Tree. The change was done when we added the new Create Table and Alter Table dialogs, since they use the same comboboxes as the SQL Editor and it wasn't clear to us at the time what the "best" behavior would be. I (now) believe it would be more consistent to have the filter apply in all places where catalogs and schemas are listed, i.e., both in the Object Tree and in all places where they can be selected from comboxes. Is that what you ask for, considering it also applies to the Create Table and Alter Table dialogs? > Ideally, what we > should have is a "default schema' setting > against the connection itself. If we can set that the > connection will remember where we want to be and set > the dropdowns accordingly. Mind you, this > is only an issue because auto-complete only works > against the currently selected schema. You can already set the "Show only default database or schema" option for a specific connection. See the Properties tab in the Object View when you have the connection selected in the Object Tree. Or do you mean a new property where you specify the name of the "default schema?" Thanks, Hans

>Or do you mean a new property where you specify the name of the "default schema?" I think I need a new feature then. Yes, I'll be connecting with one profile (which may have a matching schema) but my activity will be against our application's default schema. I need the connection to remember that. But while I'm here, why does the auto-complete only run against the currently selected schema? I imagine performance considerations are at the heart of it. But could this be opened out to include all schemas? That in itself would alleviate my problem. I know I've already got a few auto-complete requests in the mix but it would be useful to consider opening it up across schemas too. Mark

Hi Mark, Do you mean that when completing for example ALL_ it should list all tables in all schemas? Regards Roger

Mark, To set another schema then your login schema then simply add a driver property, [b]currentSchema[/b] and set the value to the schema you want. This is a DB2 JDBC driver property. Please let me know if this is what you're looking for. Regards Roger

> Do you mean that when completing for example ALL_<AC> it should list all tables in all schemas?

Well, as you know, I have a few requests out for the auto complete so you can add that to the list (though probably as a much lower priority).

I'd anticipate the AC function working as follows:

1) Start typing
2) Hit the ctrl-space - AC box appear listing all table names that contain the supplied text (anywhere in the name) from all schemas
3) The suggested table is completed in the editor, but I'm still able to overtype to narrow my selection (I could just hit enter to accept the suggested table)
4) Keep typing, the list of tables narrows
5) I've found the four tables I want to join so I multi select them from the AC box and hit enter
6) The four tables are dropped into the editor

So if I type "alloc" I should get
appschema.vw_allocations
appschema.vw_allocationtypes
auditschema.vw_oldallocations

In order of priority (for me) I'd go for (not necessarily in order of complexity):

High: Searching for tables matching my typed text anywhere in the table name
Mid: Multi-select tables from the AC box
Low: Type-ahead suggestion of the best fit table (probably not needed as hitting enter already inserts the top table in the list)
Low: searching across all schemas

Mark