Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 is now available in the early access web: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available
nice to see that the copy from grid cells is back :-)

I miss feedback when I have a - slow - tab open (ddl for example) and select an other table in the tree. In that case dbvis is just frozen. An activity indicator (sandglass) would be welcome here.

with kind regards,
Ronald.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Ronald, Your're right about the freezing. We'll make the DDL tabs stoppable and also indicate progress in the next version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available npe
e = java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at javax.swing.ToolTipManager.mouseExited(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventToSelf(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.trackMouseEnterExit(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.I.A.f.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

This happened when trying to pulldown the get bookmark entry of the menu. dbvis was open for about 1 day and could be running out of memory. After restarting dbvis it worked like before (which is good).

Ronald.

Ronald, What OS and look and feel? Did you open the Bookmarks menu in the main window or in the bookmarks editor? Did it appear directly when the menu appear or when you selected an entry?Does the bookmark you selected have a "Note" attached to it (specified in the bookmark editor). Lots of questions :-) Regards Roger

Roger,

this was on XP with Alloy.
I tried to open the 'Get Bookmark' menu Item and before the menu with Personal, New and History folded out, the NPE came.
This was in order to get the bookmark into the sqlcommander, not in the bookmarks editor.

regards,
R.

Ronald, Which Java version? Regards Roger

Product:  DbVisualizer Personal 5.1.1.7
Build:  #1200 (2007/05/07 22:43)
Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Java Version:  1.6.0_01-b06
Java Vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name:  Windows XP
OS Arch:  x86
OS Version:  5.1

Roger, maybe a running timer will do ? Ronald.

Hi Ronald, Is this a response for the hourglass request for DDL tabs? Regards Roger

Yes it is but I think it would be a nice to have a running timer in general.
I also found that there is no timing info when I abort a long running query.  Displayed are all zeroes.

R.

Ronald, I have tried various tests now to repeat the NPE problem. Unfortunately I cannot make it happen. Is this repeatable on your side? Regards Roger

Roger,
it happens after a long period of time.
Currently I work a lot with tables having clobs (a few bytes up to 250KB length).
I almost constantly have about 3 db connections open and about 10 tabs in the sql commander.
My feeling is that is has to do with some memory leeking away. Before the NPE rises, dbvis is often VERY slow to respond on redraw requests that happen when switching a windows task. When I notice this I try to close dbvis in a normal way and after that it normally runs fine again.

regards,
R.

Roger,
I let dbvis running when I left last night and when I came back this morning I saw that memory usage was increased. (I had the debugging window open, no further actions, no running monitor, just a few open connections, no activity that I know of).
The reading of the debug window was the last thing that succeeded, now a java error is trying to display. An 'Error Alert' is trying to popup but seems to be unable to finish drawing the screen. This is a popup that comes from the jre, if you ask me. 'Normally' this one comes first and next is dbvis showing the NPE in the debug window.
Is there a way to trace the activities of dbvis to a log file ? It should not trace the results of the queries, that would grow a bit too large but metrics like #rows and sizes would be ok to log.

R.

Roger,

I just noticed that 5.1.1.7 was out, looked through the release notes and found:
"Add a lightweight filtering capability in the Data tab in addition to the where filter dialog".

Hurra! Thank you so much for bringing this back!

Best Regards,
Georg