Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 is now available in the early access web: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available npe
Roger,
have you tried letting dbvis run for more than a day - idle - with just 1 database connection open ? When I do so, I can no longer get any response from dbvis and have to kill it. Last friday I opened 1 db connection, created 1 quick and good performing query (just a few numbers) in sqlcommander, executed it a few times and left. No I hit execute for that query again and I don't get any response.
Running XP here...

with kind regards,
R.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available npe
Ronald, These observations are really great as one major task before publishing the final release is to do various optimizations. So we will look into this and other related things such as memory usage, etc. Thanks again. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available
Roger,

in 5.1.1.7 the comment still is not saved as I entered it. In order to be able to use hints in oracle ( start with /*+ ...) I explicitily enter the comment delimiter as '/* ' (note the space). When I restart dbvis I see that the space is gone again so it looks like the space is not saved or not read from the config file. The session in which I edit the propertie does handle hint well from that point on.

It would be very nice if this could be fixed.

thanks,
Ronald.

Error on Disconnect of DB Connections using icon in menu at top
An internal error occured:

Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException

The error may have affected the application state.
Please notify vendor.

Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.C.Ĉ(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.C.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.F.run(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.B.ă(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.B.execute(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.F.B.F.run(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.sql.N.đ(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.G.I.ā(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.C.I$3.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.G.K.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.G.K.ā(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.G.K.ı(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.G.K.sessionEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.V.K.ā(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.V.M.ā(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.V.K.Ą(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.sql.N$A.finished(Unknown Source)
    at se.pureit.util.ThreadCommand$2.run(ThreadCommand.java:154)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.I.A.f.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Windows XP
Java 1.6.0_01-b06
Large Icon sizes
Alloy

Re: Error on Disconnect of DB Connections using icon in menu at top
Hi, Thanks for your report. This will be fixed in the next version. Regards Roger

Hi Ronald, The comment problem is on the todo and will be taken care of in the next version. Ragrds Roger

With version 5.1.1, I'm used to add the following line to %DBVIS-HOME%/resources/dbvis-custom.prefs file in order to make DB Visualizer portable on my USB hard disk :
user.home=./
That way, the .dbvis directory used by DB Visualizer is located in %DBVIS-HOME% instead of %USER-HOME% (?:\Documents and settings\%user%\).

Unfortunately this trick doesn't work anymore with version 5.1.1.7. I see in DB Visualizer System Properties that a new property has been introduced : dbvis.prefs.home. But I can't find any way to force or modifiy its value set to default ?:\Documents and settings\%user%\.dbvis to another value.

Note that I don't want to use the command line option -up to do so. The original trick was perfect because I only have to launch dbvis.exe to start the application.

Is there any way to change the value of dbvis.prefs.home properties ?

Hi, Try set [b]dbvis.prefsdir[/b]. Post a follow-up with the result independent if it's successful or not. Regards Roger

I forgot to mention that the path should *not* include [b].dbvis[/b]. Example: dbvis.prefsdir=C:\Documents and Settings\joe Roger

Thanks for your quick reply ;-)

I've tried the following lines in %DBVIS-HOME%/resources/dbvis-custom.prefs files :
dbvis.prefsdir=./
dbvis.prefsdir=F:\Development\db\dbvisualizer-5.1.1.7

Unfortunately both settings have the same result... DB Visualizer still uses ?:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\.dbvis :-(

Ok, I'll check it. Roger

I've found the solution !!!

I've had the following lines to %DBVIS-HOME%\reources\dbvis-custom.prefs file:
user.home=./
dbvis.prefs.home=.dbvis

Now everything works like a charm!

Thanks for this great software.

Bertrand

Bertrand, Great you found a workaround. I'll take a look anyway just to find out how it works :-) Roger

Bertrand, In the next version you may use [b]dbvis.prefsdir[/b] to set an alternative location for the .dbvis directory. Setting it to "." will store property files in the same directory as DbVisualizer is installed in. $DBVIS-HOME/.dbvis Regards Roger

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.7 now available - charset trouble
Hi Roger,

today I met a nice little database with 'other' characters in the table and column names. Like é, ü, ë etc. When I hit show ddl from the object tree, those characters where displayed as they should. In the result grid they were not. Can you take a look at that ?

thanks,
Ronald.