Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 5.1.1.9 now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, DbVisualizer 5.1.1.9 (early access) is now available: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.9 now available
Mark, Sorry for the delay on this one. You're right in that DbVisualizer don't fully handle CHAR FOR BIT DATA properly. I'll file this as an issue. Regards Roger

Petrov, What you can do is open the DBVIS-HOME/resources/profiles/db2-zos.xml file in a text editor and modify the SQL DbVisualizer issue when getting these results. You find these SQLs in the section. (We haven't been able to verify the DB2 z/OS profile for a while). Regards Roger

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.9 now available - long runs
Ronald, I have just added so that the settings are saved whenever DbVisualizer hang (more then 5 secs) for some reason. This will be part of the next EA. Regards Roger

Ronald, I will fix so that the settings file is saved more often. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger,
yes I did do control break.
In the meantime I found a reason for slow response: an access using a database link was VERY slow. So the hang was not - yet - a dbvis problem.

This still leaves the virtual memory problem.

When is the sql history saved ? I think this is only saved during a clean exit of dbvis. I entered lots of sql, closed a few connections, quit dbvis using the control break from the cmd  window and had no sql in the history that were entered in the stopped session.

R.

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.9 now available - scrollbar in result grid
Ronald, I agree. There are several problems overriding the standard behavior: * Each Look and Feel decide how scrolling work based on UI guide lines * Dynamically overriding the standard behavior for a grid with large columns is difficult as the scrolling is handled by Java * Setting a specific increment value for small moves and big moves gives the effect as in 5.1.1.9. The disadvantage is that the change is so apparent that I doubt it will be generally accepted i.e. that it doesn't work as it normally does. I believe that for really wide columns this is something we'll have to live with. After all, the majority of columns being viewed are quite small. Regards Roger

Did you press Ctrl+BREAK in the DOS shell when DbVisualizer was hanging? (The other "not found" messages are harmless and a result of running via the script). Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

H:\dbvis\DbVisualizer-5.1.1.9>test
File icons/title_buttons_windows.gif not found
File icons/title_buttons_metal.gif not found

I guess this is not where you were waiting for ...
What happened was that at first I got warnings about virtual memory running low. I could resolve that by closing a few connections and continue working. I was recompiling lots of packages and the last command before dbvis froze was to do a new recompile of a package using the compile package body command from the schema tree. In dbvis.vmoptions I have -Xmx512m. I think I recompiled about 70 packages, functions and procedures. At first I had 8 connections open (all oracle, various releases ranging from 8.1.7.4 to 10.2.0.3)
I hope this gives you a clue about what happens. As far as I could see there was no locking in the database that caused my session to hang.

R.

Yes, I think that the original behaviour is better than the current Roger but can't it be so that the page move is defined by the width and not by a number of columns ? I think the problems I have with it is because the move always tries to shift a number of columns, which is fine when the columns are small in size but very inconvenient when they are large.

Regards,
R.

Ronald, After doing some more testing with the scroll bars it appears the original behavior is the correct one (before we applied the fix in 5.1.1.9). Clicking on the arrows will scroll one column at a time while clicking next to the slider scrolls a page of columns (if possible). In the case with a really wide column this will of course result in that the complete column being scrolled giving the impression that the scrolling is too coarse. So the conclusion is that we will remove the patch and rely on the standard behavior. Regards Roger

Hi Roger,
I don't like the way the slider moves in the horizontal scrollbar in the result grid. When I click next to the slider I expect the page to move 1 page. Now it only moves a small part of a page, which would fit more for the arrows.

regards,
Ronald.
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi Ronald, What you can try is to save the attached test.bat file in the installation directory for DbVis. (Maybe you need to adjust the JAVA_DIR path in the script). Then open a DOS Shell, change directory to the DbVis installation directory and launch the script. Once it hang press [b]Ctrl+BREAK[/b] in the DOS window. A trace should be echoed in the DOS window. Post or email it. You can read more about full Java dumps here: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/Stacktrace/ Regards Roger support@minq.se

Roger,
I tried to reproduce on macosX with no success. What surprises me is that oracle SQL developer does not have this problem. For me they could technically be about the same. Both are java...
How can we debug this. I heard from collegues they also have this problem. How about others ?

R.
[Attachment has been removed.]

DB2 mainframe seems to be unable to display default data for tables/view/etc navigation items. System tables seems to work and the function listing(tho there are none). The query dbvisualizer is attempting to run, works if I remove 'type like 'T' '. Results are displayed in SQL Commander tab.

Product:  DbVisualizer Personal 5.1.1.9
Build:  #1224 (2007/06/13 00:44)
Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Java Version:  1.6.0_01-b06
Java Vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name:  Linux
OS Arch:  i386
OS Version:  2.4.33.3

Dirk, Thanks for all your help with this. I have located the problem and it will be fixed in the next version. In case you wonder, it was related to differences in the naming conventions for auto-generated indexes between different Informix versions. Regards, Hans