Start a new topic

Problems to connecting to database ("Malformed reply from SOCKS server")

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I believe we have finally found what causes the problems many of you have reported regarding getting ""Malformed reply from SOCKS server" when connecting to a database. It is most likely a combination of our introduction of the possibility to use system proxy settings when running Check For Update combined with too broadly scoped system proxy settings in Windows by default. To fix this: 1) Open Tools -> Internet Options in Internet Explorer (or alternatively, Control Panel Network Settings in Windows 7) 2) Open Connections tab 3) Click on LAN settings 4) If "Use a proxy server" is enabled, click Advanced and disable "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" In the EAP version, DbVisualizer enables the use of system proxies for all network connections during the session. If the system settings has "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" enabled, the proxy will be used also database connections, regardless of the DbVisualizer Tool Properties settings. We will try to change this so that DbVisualizer only enables the use of system proxies if the Tool Properties settings says so and only while getting the connection for Check For Update. But for now, please follow the instructions above to work around this problem. Thanks for all your help resolving this mysterious error. Best Regards, Hans

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Problems to connecting to database ("Malformed reply from SOCKS server")
phew! that worked!!! good analysis!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Madhav, Thanks for confirming. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans Bergsten, In my win7, "Use a proxy server" is not enabled. then what we should do? Because I am getting this Socks error only. ***[jcc][t4][2043][11550][4.13.127] Exception java.net.ConnectException: Error opening socket to server /192.168.100.65 on port 60,000 with message: Connection timed out: connect. ERRORCODE=-4499, SQLSTATE=08001*** ***Details:*** ***   Type: com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.DisconnectNonTransientConnectionException*** ***   Error Code: -4499*** ***   SQL State: 08001*** Please Suggest.

Hi Ritesh, The "Connection timed out" message indicates that this is a general network problem. First make sure that you have specified the correct IP address and port for the database. Next, verify that you can reach the server, for instance by clicking the Ping Server button. If that fails, please talk to a system administrator. There may be a firewall between your client and the server that block the port, or the server may not allow connections from your client. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Hans, I checked in firewall. Everything is allowed. When we do the same thing from Windows Xp. this works. But from Win 7. It gives this error. please suggest. Thanks.

Hi Ritesh, What happens when you click the Ping Server button on Windows 7? Best Regards, Hans

Almost 2 years after the problem / answer was discovered and this is STILL an issue? If the code is not going to adjust, how about at LEAST changing the error message to instruct what to change? (But seriously folks, As a new user of dbvis, I'm a little leery. Getting connected to SQL Server with windows auth has required 2 trouble shooting sessions, including this and the first which required manually dropping a DLL into my windows folder, which may be a normal solution in the java world, but is considered (and rightly so) a kludge in windows administration. ominous beginning, but I'm still hopefull!)

Hi Dwaine, Sorry to hear you're not happy with us. Can you please clarify a bit? Are you referring to the problem with proxy settings? It was changed in the final version so that No Proxy is the default instead Use System Proxy Settings. If Use System Proxy Settings is explicitly set, you must unfortunately also change the Windows settings as described because Windows uses the proxy for all protocols by default. I agree that we probably can catch this specific error by parsing the error message and provide an additional message with instructions, so I will open a ticket for that. Regarding the use of Windows Authorization (SSO), we are looking at ways to bundle and install the jTDS DLL in a future version. Best Regards, Hans

Hans, My toneobviously came off as harsher than intended. Certainly not "not happy", just making an observation hopefully for the communities benefit. I'm just getting oriented with the tool and certainly already appreciate the work that has gone into it! RE proxy, you are exactly right. I set dbv as "use system settings" since I'm already having to use an IPSwitcher to change system network settings based on my connection. Thus I want all apps to use system settings so I'm not having to change proxy setup for every app I use. I think most people would set up the same way for the same reason. As you've suggested, a simple message stating what to check would be appreciated and prevent yet another troubleshooting session. RE SSO, I understand redist rights can cause such problems, but maybe adding the dbvis path to the system path during install and thus avoid the sacrilegious act of adding files below %system% would be a good place start. Thanks for the prompt reply and I look forward to discovering the features of dbvis!

Hi Dwaine, In the next maintenance release, you will get this message in the Connection Message area if this error is encountered: --- *An error occurred while establishing the connection:* *Long Message:* Network error IOException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server *Details:*    *Type:* java.sql.SQLException    *SQL State:* 08S01 Please check your system proxy settings. On Windows, make sure 'Use the same proxy for all protocols' is *not* enabled --- Would that have been sufficient to set you on the right track faster? Best Regards, Hans

Hi, This is now fixed in the just released 9.0.6 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger