Start a new topic

Cursor vanishes after statement execution

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, 1641: When executing a query with Ctrl-Enter, the SQL editor cursor stops blinking. Depending on the exact moment when one starts the query, after the result is shown, the cursor does not blink anymore and shows just as a black line, or the cursor is invisible at all! Of course, after displaying the query result, the cursor should be blinking in the SQL window again, at the last used position. Regards, Freewater

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Cursor vanishes after statement execution
Hi, Thanks for your help testing. We have noticed this as well and are looking for a way to fix it. Best Regards, Hans

Freewater, Just to let you know there is a fix for this in the latest 720.1680 version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, it's fixed only half: What *does* work: The cursor comes back blinking after the statement is executed. What does not seem to work: During the time a statement is executed (by pressing ), the cursor remains either not visible or not blinking (depending on the exact moment is pressed). Of course, I would like to see the cursor blinking during execution, because I regularly like to refine the statement during that time. Regards, Freewater

Hi, I cannot reproduce the vanishing cursor/caret, but while testing this, we found something that may cause what you see, namely the Use Single Shared Physical Connection setting. Do you have this enabled, either for the connection or for the database type in Tool Properties? If not, can you please clarify what happens when the caret stops blinking or vanishes during execution. Can you still edit and switch to other tabs, nodes, etc. or is the GUI locked? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, of course I use multi-sessions. I regularly do several queries at once. The setting is unchecked under the Database tab in the tree objects General and Sybase ASE. I didn't find the setting in the General tab. If I execute a long running query with -, or one with a long fetch (eg. 100000 rows), during the time until all rows are fetched, the cursor is not visible (bad) or just a straight line which is not blinking (quite okay). This depends on whether the cursor is visible or unvisible at the moment of the key press. During execution - I can write more letters, which do show up, but sometimes without any cursor. - I can change to other windows by mouse click, there I always get a non-blinking straight line cursor at the correct window dependent position, even if the cursor was inivisible in the other window. - If I change back and forth, I always get a straight non-blinking line in the original window (where the cursor had vanished). Besides, the cursor also stops blinking , if a long fetching query is interrupted by mouse click on the stop icon. The cursor comes back blinking only after executing the query again regularly. Regards, Freewater

Hi, Thanks for the clarification. We have managed to reproduce this now. We currently use a work-around for the first problem you reported so we will wait until we have a permanent solution for that and see if it fixes this as well. Otherwise we will figure out some other way to fix it. Best Regards, Hans

Hi, The cursor issue is now fixed in the 8.0.3 version. Regards Roger